Need help with auto_now_add and auto_now fields

sarfaraz ahmed

Aug 3, 2015, 3:18:18 PM8/3/15
to Django users
Hello Team,

I have a model and I have added two fields to User_Address model creation_date and updation_date. I have pasted the model code at pastebin. Please take a look.

I am getting following error while running makemigrations command

You are trying to add a non-nullable field 'creation_date' to user_address witho
ut a default; we can't do that (the database needs something to populate existin
g rows).
Please select a fix:
 1) Provide a one-off default now (will be set on all existing rows)
 2) Quit, and let me add a default in models.py
Select an option:

Please help...

Regards,
Sarfaraz Ahmed

sarfaraz ahmed

Aug 3, 2015, 3:20:54 PM8/3/15
to Django users
I missed the pastebin link in my last post. Sorry...

Here is the model code

rajan santhanam

Aug 3, 2015, 4:08:14 PM8/3/15
to django...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ahmed,

This message is because you hav few entries already present for that model in DB. If it is OK for you, you can add datetime.now as default value for the existing rows

Many Thanks
Rajan

sarfaraz ahmed

Aug 4, 2015, 1:36:07 AM8/4/15
to django...@googlegroups.com
I have entries present in User Profile Table. But this field belongs to User_Address model which is new and does not have any entries present. Please advice.

Thanks with regards,
Sarfaraz Ahmed

rajan santhanam

Aug 4, 2015, 1:54:07 AM8/4/15
to django...@googlegroups.com

No problem. Still you can provide an one off value by selecting option 1 and migrate. It won't have any impact.

I think this warning will arise on every occasion we alter the table structure irrespective of entry being there or not.