Geodjango and Python 3.3

rgreene

Mar 25, 2014, 8:28:15 AM3/25/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
Good day,

I'm developing under Windows against a PostGIS database. On https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.7/ref/contrib/gis/install/#windows, Python 2.7 is shown in the installation steps. I've been reading up on Python 3.3 (for instance, https://wiki.python.org/moin/Python2orPython3), and as the development is just getting started I would like to go this route if possible. Are their any packages/libraries in the typical Geodjango/PostGIS statck that are not compatible with Python 3.3?

Thanks in advance,
Randal

Sam Lai

Mar 25, 2014, 8:34:52 PM3/25/14
to django-users
I'm developing a site using Python 3.3, Django, Geodjango and
PostgreSQL. It is a bit tricky getting all the libraries to work, but
the stack does work. I installed GEOS using OSGeo4W, but I had to
explicitly specify the GEOS_LIBRARY_PATH and GDAL_LIBRARY_PATH in
settings.py.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/5831a490-c1b6-4804-a09e-d99d79648a19%40googlegroups.com.

Alex Mandel

Mar 26, 2014, 8:27:50 PM3/26/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
You might get more responses on the GeoDjango mailing list:
geod...@googlegroups.com

I agree the basic libraries probably all work. Are you sure you used
OSGeo4w with Python3? OSGeo4w ships 2.7.x, so unless the GDAL and GEOS
wrappers also work with Python3 that sounds odd.

pypi page makes it look like those libs work in Python3
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/GDAL/
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/Shapely (Infers Geos)

Thanks,
Alex

Sam Lai

Mar 27, 2014, 7:54:55 PM3/27/14
to django-users
Hmm, you might be right Alex. I set up the virtualenv with all that a
while ago and I've just been copying the geo-related DLLs for new
environments.