Another Noob questions

Michael Carey

Sep 1, 2014, 8:18:21 PM9/1/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
So I followed a tutorial on graphing a graph in Django.

I have the urls page set up, do I need a index.html?

Thank you,

MC

Collin Anderson

Sep 1, 2014, 8:21:29 PM9/1/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
what are you trying to do? what happens when you try?

Michael Carey

Sep 1, 2014, 8:27:17 PM9/1/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
I have created an app and have content showing under (mysite)/graph but I am not getting a home page.

I have pushed it to git and am not getting a response.

on the dev server (port8000) it shows.

Thank you,

Michael Carey

Collin Anderson

Sep 1, 2014, 8:42:03 PM9/1/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
do you have a url for you home page?

    url(r'^$', views.home_page),

and it works on your dev server, but not when you deploy? how are you hosting it?

Michael Carey

Sep 1, 2014, 8:58:10 PM9/1/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
No I didnt have a url(r'^$', views.home_page),

I have pushed the site to git and am trying to view it on git for a start.

Matt Gushee

Sep 1, 2014, 10:13:49 PM9/1/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Michael--

On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 6:58 PM, Michael Carey <mpc....@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have pushed the site to git and am trying to view it on git for a start.

Seeing as I'm the one who recommended Git to you, I'd better say something ...

If you literally mean 'view it on git' - though I'm not even sure what
you mean by that - it probably is not going to work. Git, or any
version control system, is just for managing your code - it has
nothing to do with running your application.

You have to run Django (e.g. 'python manage.py runserver') just as you
would on your development machine. And there are almost certainly
other steps you need to do to set up the server, but without knowing
anything about your hosting environment or about the exact steps you
have followed already, it's not possible to say much more.

It seems like either you are glossing over a lot of detail in your
questions, or you are lacking some basic knowledge of how this stuff
works. Nothing you can't learn, but if your posts are accurately
describing what you are doing, I think you're in for a lot of
frustration.

I have to go make dinner, but I'll check back later. If you're stuck,
I'll see if I can point you to some helpful resources.

--
Matt Gushee

Matt Gushee

Sep 2, 2014, 12:48:24 AM9/2/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hello again--

Since I don't really understand what you are doing, I can't give you
any specific help. But since I have the impression you are new not
only to Django but to online technical forums, let me give you a
general recommendation:

You will get better answers if you ask better questions. That means
primarily that you should describe in some detail what steps you have
followed and what is not working - e.g. if you get an error message,
say exactly what the message is; or if you expected some result and
aren't getting it, describe exactly what you were expecting. And if
you are following some tutorial or how-to document, please say exactly
which one - preferably with a link. And so on. You have to exercise
some judgement about the level of detail - if your question includes
all the information that could possibly be relevant, that's probably
too much, so just take your best guess as to what the important points
are. In this case, you should at least tell us:

1. how you installed Django (e.g. are you using virtualenv ?);
2. what kind of hosting account you have; and
3. what database you are using.

Best of luck with your project!