Handling url in class based views.

Aadil Rashid

Nov 15, 2021, 4:28:12 PM11/15/21
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hello my dear Friends, I have a question regarding Class Based Views.

If we have a url e.g,
path('item/<str:slug>/',  views.funView)

We can handle it in  Function Based Views,
By simply
def funView(request, slug) :
       #logic
       return render(request, "tempName")

We can even pass this slug as a context in this template,

My question is how can we achieve this by using class Based Views.

Thanks in advance.

pankaj palmate

Nov 15, 2021, 11:11:13 PM11/15/21
to django...@googlegroups.com
def get(self, pk, *args,**kwargs ) :
        .......body..........

pankaj palmate

Nov 15, 2021, 11:11:55 PM11/15/21
to django...@googlegroups.com
Also request in def get itself

Aadil Rashid

Nov 16, 2021, 12:11:32 AM11/16/21
to django...@googlegroups.com

Thank you very much Pankaj Palmate, I really appreciate it.
I have tried using def get(self, request, *args, **kwargs) but This method is not been invoked,
Actually the thing is that,
I am calling this ClassBasedView by an anchor tag, which passes URL to this link and I need to get the information in which is present in the URL,
I am confused, weather the request initiated by an anchor tag is a get request or not,
Indeed get method does not worked here,

I once again thank you very much

pankaj palmate

Perry Bates

Nov 19, 2021, 10:12:08 AM11/19/21
to django...@googlegroups.com
You can use the DetailListView from generic views.
Pass in the template name, form class, and query(which in this case takes in the slug to query the db)

Lalit Suthar

Nov 21, 2021, 1:43:01 AM11/21/21
to django...@googlegroups.com
you can get that slug value from kwargs

def get(self, request, *args, **kwargs):
        slug = self.kwargs.get("slug")

also if you like to pass it in the context you can override get_context_data

refer: https://ccbv.co.uk/
to know more about class based views you can refer to this playlist from video number 36