Minimum Hardware requirement - reg

Raja Sekar Sampath

Jun 25, 2019, 2:19:18 PM6/25/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

What are the facts to be considered while determine the server configuration for a Django Application?

My Client preferring self hosting, the project having 8 different (apps) modules and we expect 20 to 30 users concurrently login into the system and Its having automated cron jobs

Thanks & Regards,
Raja Sekar Sampath

Yoo

Jun 25, 2019, 7:47:06 PM6/25/19
to Django users
8 app modules? That's a little clumsy. Something that would require that many app modules would be like docs.google.com and drive.google.com. Google has a LOT of different platforms which, if programmed in Django, would need several app modules. I'm 90% sure you'll only need one app.

Hardware requirement is not something you need to consider based off Django. It's more about the transaction costs (writes and reads and etc.). Since it's only 30 clients, I imagine self hosting wouldn't be a problem at all. You could probably buy a Raspberry Pi 4 and host on there without a problem for the next 5 years.

For cron jobs, check out this: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/573618/django-set-up-a-scheduled-job . You can also use the Advanced Python Scheduler (APS) for scheduled tasks.

Several users logging into the system isn't a problem. Django has session authentication, so users can do whatever they want, concurrently. If you're looking into setting up a Chatroom package, you can check out python's asyncio and django-channels package for asynchronous tasks.

Again, hardware with the conditions you listed should be the least of your worries. Just make sure that everything works and is secure. You could utilize Django-registration and Django-pwned-passwords. Make sure your setting's important information, like the secret key and database passwords, are stored in environment variables.

Sam Taiwo

Jun 25, 2019, 11:00:53 PM6/25/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
I think think the first advice is way off base in two ways.

1) It's not clumsy to have 8 apps if that is the the structure of the project that makes each part encapsulated and reusable.

2) 30 concurrent users in one app can be more demanding than 1000 in another. It really depends on what each user is doing. Though it if your site is like 99% of others you shouldn't't need to worry about hardware.

Aldian Fazrihady

Jun 25, 2019, 11:28:33 PM6/25/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
Can you convince your client to use clouds instead of self hosting?
Cloud such as AWS or GCP is easily scriptable, allowing to create critical/important automation scripts.

Regards,

Aldian Fazrihady

Raja Sekar Sampath

Jun 28, 2019, 2:50:55 AM6/28/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to all for the valuable reply

"Making a million friends is not a miracle, the miracle is to make a friend who will stand by you when a million are against you. "

Have a Smileness Day
With A Smile
Rs.