WYSIWYG/Rich Text Editor recommendations

Tim Johnson

Apr 30, 2019, 8:18:10 PM4/30/19
to Django ML
Using python 3.7.2 and django 2.1.5

Production is in Ubuntu 16.04 and prospective deployment is likely
to be CentOS with same python/django.

I'm a retired python developer.

I'd welcome recommendations and/or caveats regarding a stable
WYSIWIG "plugin".

Much is available on google, but it is always edifying to hear
individual comments.

I currently publish on drupal using its ckeditor plugin. My common
method is to compose articles in LibreOffice, then copy and paste
into the editor. Works well, except that it IS drupal.

I'd like to recreate the same functionality with django. I will need
to be able to include embedded images.

TIA
--
Tim
http://www.tj49.com

Joel Mathew

Apr 30, 2019, 9:18:47 PM4/30/19
to Django ML
Currently I'm using quill. It's easy to implement, and has all basic features.
Sincerely yours,

 Joel G Mathew

Tim Johnson

Apr 30, 2019, 10:40:53 PM4/30/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
* Joel Mathew <jo...@joel.su> [190430 17:29]:
> Currently I'm using quill. It's easy to implement, and has all basic
> features.

Cool. Thanks for that Joel.

> > I'd like to recreate the same functionality with django. I will need
> > to be able to include embedded images.

--
Tim Johnson
http://www.tj49.com

Lance Haig

May 2, 2019, 4:39:46 AM5/2/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tim,

I used django-tinymce4-lite for my app

https://github.com/lhaig/usery

It works well from my perspective and gives a light editor.

Regards

Lance

Andréas Kühne

May 2, 2019, 9:11:30 AM5/2/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
I would second for quill - the main thing with that editor is that it doesn't store the HTML internally - this means that you can copy / paste from word for example without all of the strange html that comes with that. It is more restrictive than tinymce or the likes, but much better!

Regards,

Andréas

Tim Johnson

May 4, 2019, 11:58:32 AM5/4/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
* Tim Johnson <t...@akwebsoft.com> [190430 16:27]:
> Using python 3.7.2 and django 2.1.5
>
> Production is in Ubuntu 16.04 and prospective deployment is likely
> to be CentOS with same python/django.
>
> I'm a retired python developer.
>
> I'd welcome recommendations and/or caveats regarding a stable
> WYSIWIG "plugin".
Thanks to all for the recommendations. It will just be all the
more edifying for me to try both tinymce and quill.

cheers

Swatantra Kumar

May 4, 2019, 6:27:27 PM5/4/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tim,

As your requirement is of a WYSIWYG editor, I often use CKEditor javascript library directly in my Django projects as I can't get any alternative which can provide features such as image/attachment upload, link pages, etc which are available with CKEditor.
Also, check this Django CKEditor plugin https://github.com/django-ckeditor/django-ckeditor

Regards,
Swatantra

Tim Johnson

May 6, 2019, 8:48:43 PM5/6/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
* Joel Mathew <jo...@joel.su> [190430 17:29]:
> Currently I'm using quill. It's easy to implement, and has all basic
> features.

Joel - perhaps you could check out another thread I started:
subject - "quill tries to import deprecated django.forms.util"

What version of django are you using?

thanks again