Best Django Open Source Project for Intermediate Django Learners

will

Sep 1, 2015, 12:40:56 PM9/1/15
to Django users
I have gone through official Django Poll app tutorial, Django Girls tutorial, and several simple examples.

Could anyone recommend one or several best open source Django project for people like me to ramp up the django skills further?

Some good one I have heard about is as follows:

NewsBlur
Everyblock

However, these projects are huge. Any medium size, easily accessible projects available?

Thanks.

Avraham Serour

Sep 1, 2015, 12:46:20 PM9/1/15
to django-users
are these projects even open source? I didn't find any reference on their websites.

I any case I can suggest you taking a look at tree.io (https://github.com/treeio/treeio/)

I would love to get some help on the project, currently I'm focusing on adding tests and increasing coverage

Nick Sarbicki

Sep 1, 2015, 12:53:23 PM9/1/15
to Django users
You could make a project yourself. I always found the best way to learn a new skill was to jump in after the basic tutorials and start building something.

Do you not have any ideas for things you'd like to make? Even if they're copies of something else.

You could do something simple like a blog, or go more complex and build a social network. Or something completely original.

 - Nick

James Schneider

Sep 1, 2015, 8:21:56 PM9/1/15
to django...@googlegroups.com

Could anyone recommend one or several best open source Django project for people like me to ramp up the django skills further?

Some good one I have heard about is as follows:

NewsBlur
Everyblock

However, these projects are huge. Any medium size, easily accessible projects available?

If you have no specific app/project that you want to develop yourself, have you thought about contributing to Django itself?

There are plenty of submitted patches that need review, and tickets that need patches created. If you really want to learn Django inside and out, that would be a good place to start.

Also consider contributing to 3rd party app developers. Find a package on https://www.djangopackages.com/ that interests you and start reviewing their open tickets.

-James