Production deployments and Version Control for DJango projects

Ram

Feb 14, 2020, 10:34:18 PM2/14/20
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm currently having development server with Digital Ocean for our Django based web site. We are currently copying new code manually to project folder and running makemigrations and migrate. Since this manual process is not sustainable in future, I would like to implement right process and tools for source code management and both dev & production servers deployments.

Could someone provide me documented procedure and tools to automate the deployment and manage the version control. I know GIT is one option but do you guys any other open source tools for souce code management.

Best Regards,
~Ram

Aldian Fazrihady

Feb 14, 2020, 11:59:09 PM2/14/20
to django...@googlegroups.com
Try ansible-playbook

Regards,

Aldian Fazrihady
http://aldianfazrihady.com

Sam Hefer

Feb 14, 2020, 11:59:44 PM2/14/20
to django...@googlegroups.com
Bitbucket is great if you don’t like Git env. It has a great interface.

Thanks,
Sam

On 15/02/2020, at 4:34 PM, Ram <ram.mu...@gmail.com> wrote:

Kasper Laudrup

Feb 15, 2020, 4:53:18 AM2/15/20
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sam,

On 15/02/2020 05.58, Sam Hefer wrote:
> Bitbucket is great if you don’t like Git env. It has a great interface.

Bitbucket is more or less a web frontend to git, so it can hardly be
regarded as an alternative to git.

But I agree that the git command line interface isn't exactly the most
user friendly so some kind of frontend can often be very helpful.

That's hardly related to the original question though.

Kind regards,

Kasper Laudrup

Kasper Laudrup

Feb 15, 2020, 4:55:57 AM2/15/20
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi Aldian,

On 15/02/2020 05.57, Aldian Fazrihady wrote:
> Try ansible-playbook

That's exactly what Ansible was designed for, so I agree that this would
be the obvious route to go.

No reason not to use git for source control and then Ansible to automate
the deployment.

Kind regards,

Kasper Laudrup

Ram

Apr 19, 2020, 12:53:35 PM4/19/20
to django...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, all. We started with GIT hub and planning to add ansible-playbook later in our development phase.

Best regards
~Ram

JEGATHEESWARAN SUNDARAVADIVEL

Apr 19, 2020, 12:59:34 PM4/19/20
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi ,
Try Jenkins also for Continuous Integration (CI)

Regards
Jegatheeswaran sundaravadivel

--
JAGATHEESWARAN

Ram

Aug 29, 2020, 10:58:36 PM8/29/20
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

After some review we decided to go with Jenkins for continuous integration and deployment. Our development server was deployed on Ubuntu 18.x with Postgres DB and Python 3 virtual environment, DJango and GIT.

Now we are planning to setup Jenkins server on the same dev. server so that we could do continuous integration using source code from GIT and deployment on dev server first and then Prod server once the code is clean and bugs free.

But I'm wondering whether Jenkins has to be installed inside Virtual Env. or outside because DJango web application runs inside the virtual environment, also whether my setup plan would help me to deploy code in production server too?

Thanks,

~Ram