Django site as SOAP endpoint

Fenrir Sivar

Jan 31, 2021, 2:45:51 AM1/31/21
to django...@googlegroups.com
I’m working on a project where one of the remote parties requires us to serve a SOAP api. I have plenty experience with DRF, but only found soap client examples (using The ’zeep’ module: zeep==soap in Dutch)  which I use to call the SOAP api from the other party . There is django-soap-server but the latest version is 10y old)

Does anyone have experience with django as soap endpoint recently?

Ryan Nowakowski

Jan 31, 2021, 11:30:47 AM1/31/21
to django...@googlegroups.com
I don't, but if I had to time travel back to the 90's and offer a SOAP API here's what I'd do. Twisted offers a SOAP API server:

https://docs.twistedmatrix.com/en/twisted-18.7.0/web/howto/xmlrpc.html#soap-support

I'd start with that and call Django models from Twisted.

Best of luck with your remote party from the past 😉

Xavier Ordoquy

Jan 31, 2021, 5:34:26 PM1/31/21
to Django users

Hi Fenrir,

You may give Spyne (http://spyne.io/) a try.
It is a RPC framework that can handle SOAP requests and has a Django integration.
Spyne has a couple of drawbacks - IMHO it tries to do too any things and may be somewhat complex - but it does the job.

Hopes this will help,
Xavier O.