Issues with editing Django files?

Outomyelement

Apr 23, 2019, 8:13:33 AM4/23/19
to Django users
I'm new to Python and am working through the Crash Course for Python book using Windows 10 and the latest version of Python and Django.

I am trying to edit the models.py file, but i get a permissions denied:

Capture.PNG

I am learning on a company computer, i'm wondering if my user permissions are an issue? Given i'm not an admin for my computer, am I going to have an issue trying to save files in these folders without some admin access? I am able to run the cmd as admin?

Thank you,

Kevin

André Toscano

Apr 27, 2019, 7:19:07 PM4/27/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kevin,
You shouldn't put your files inside the Program Files directory, it's protected by the system. Instead, you should create a directory (my suggestion) 'git' in your user's directory.
Inside this directory you should create the directory that will organize your code.
After that you need to create a virtualenv and installl all Python packages required in the virtual environment.
Most Python IDE (WingIDE, VS Code, PyCharm, Eclipse, etc) supports virtual environments.
On Windows you have different options to install Python (Direct, Anaconda, CygWin, etc) and create the virtual, the best would be to use a Linux or Unix based system. Consider a virtual machine on VirtualBox with a linux distribution.
Even if you are able to run as admin, you could create security issues.
Regards
André

Ps.: Here there is a good reference on how to setup the system to develop with Django: https://tutorial.djangogirls.org/en/django_installation/

Kevin Weinberg

Apr 30, 2019, 10:39:25 PM4/30/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, thank you very much!

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Django users" group.