Newbie : Best data archive strategy

mickae...@gmail.com

Jun 12, 2018, 1:22:17 PM6/12/18
to Django users
Hi,

I'd like to archive some data.

I came with this idea :

class DataModel(models.Model):
xxx

class DataModelArchive(DataModel):
pass

The DataModelArchive database created has only "a pointer" to DataModel.

I saw a post indicating that I'll have to first create an AbstractDataModel and inherit for it for both DataModelArchive and DataModel.

Well, what is the "best way" to archive data using Django ?

Thx for your attention

Micka

Matthew Pava

Jun 12, 2018, 2:01:02 PM6/12/18
to django...@googlegroups.com

I think what you’re really looking for is an audit log.  There are some Django packages available that do that automatically.

You might find this one quite helpful, called Django Reversion:

https://github.com/etianen/django-reversion

mickae...@gmail.com

Jun 12, 2018, 2:16:42 PM6/12/18
to Django users
Thanks Matthew for your response.

I looked at Reversion. If I understand correctly what it did, it duplicate each transaction on internal database ?

Le mardi 12 juin 2018 20:01:02 UTC+2, Matthew Pava a écrit :

I think what you’re really looking for is an audit log.  There are some Django packages available that do that automatically.

You might find this one quite helpful, called Django Reversion:

https://github.com/etianen/django-reversion

Matthew Pava

Jun 12, 2018, 2:20:55 PM6/12/18
to django...@googlegroups.com

Hi Mickael,

It saves a copy of each record every time a record is changed.  But it is saved in a separate table, so it doesn’t change your model’s table.

Gerardo Palazuelos Guerrero

Jun 12, 2018, 2:39:09 PM6/12/18
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mickael,
When I read Archive, in my mind is a different thing, not the same as audit. So, for one moment, think about situation/scenario you are working on.

Archive is to manage data purge from my transactional tables; this means I want to "delete" data (that has not more value) or I want to "move" data to an archive system (data is still relevant and useful).

Audit is to create a perfect tracking of transitions on value overtime. This is required due to special regulations you have.

So, it might be useful if you clarify what is the scenario you are trying to solve.

Regards,
Gerardo.

--
Gerardo Palazuelos Guerrero

Mickael Barbo

Jun 12, 2018, 6:34:30 PM6/12/18
to django...@googlegroups.com
Ok, so "audit log" is like a "snapshot". I think it's too much for what I need.

To clarify my needs, I have a data that once "used/read", it's no more needed.
I just want to keep it "archived", in an other place to get access to it if I want to add some function (statistics, etc...).

So, Gerardo, it seems to be like " I want to "move" data to an archive system (data is still relevant and useful)."

Hope this clarify my needs...

Thx Matthew and Gerardo for your help.