What were your best resources in learning programming, python, ultimately django?

Amber Pond

Apr 9, 2018, 11:06:35 AM4/9/18
to Django users
What were your best resources in learning programming, python, ultimately django?

Hi friends!

Just starting out with some basic html and css knowledge, and I am taking my first python class. When you were first learning programming, what were you MOST influential and helpful resources? Reply to this thread so that others and myself can use this for reference on our journeys.

Sites?
Books?
Projects?
Forums?
Courses?

Jorge Gimeno

Apr 9, 2018, 11:11:01 AM4/9/18
to django...@googlegroups.com
Team Treehouse was a great learning resource. It's paid, but I felt it was worth it.

-Jorge L. Gimeno

Mateusz Kurowski

Apr 9, 2018, 11:16:46 AM4/9/18
to django...@googlegroups.com

James Farris

Apr 9, 2018, 12:21:48 PM4/9/18
to django...@googlegroups.com
Early on Lynda.com was my best friend for learning basics like HTML and CSS. Then a lot of practice.

Later on I took a coding boot camp in my area that really accelerated my learning and filled in a lot of the missing pieces. It covered HTML, CSS, PHP, Ruby on Rails and SQL to name a few.

The Django docs and “The Django Book” https://djangobook.com/ we’re both great to get me started on Django. Also Lynda.com again for python and Django.

-James

jacob duyon

Apr 9, 2018, 12:38:31 PM4/9/18
to django...@googlegroups.com
Do the class completely. Don't skip anything, especially things that are hard. Always try to figure something out on your own, and take breaks when you are completely stuck. If you are ever stuck, ask yourself why you are stuck, and usually its because you don't understand some dependency. Google everything about that thing until you fully understand that well. Then, come back to the problem. Getting stuck and persevering are the fastest ways to learn something, so don't be fearful of that process.

Tango with Django is the first interactive book I've read for Django. I started by making some silly website I was interested in as quickly as I could. Then, I went back and rebuilt it by writing tests for everything. When you are prototyping to see how something works, don't bother with unit tests. When you are prototyping you want to get an idea of how to design the code. Just make sure to re-build it while writing unit tests.

Learning how to test things is the most important thing to learn early on. When you write tests for your project, you are not only testing that the thing works.. but also are writing documentation about how to use it.

Amber Pond

Amber Pond

Amber Pond

Amber Pond

Apr 9, 2018, 10:10:36 PM4/9/18
to Django users
Yes! team treehouse is the only resource I paid for (besides college *groan*), but it realllly worked for me. I used it for the ruby on rails class, but I should definitely use it for the python and django courses.