Honest feedback

Bobby Roberts

Jan 24, 2014, 6:04:59 PM1/24/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi group. I've been out if the django world for over four years. I am going to rebrand and replatform away from classic asp. Don't laugh. Yes I know it's sad. Without telling me how good django is, what has changed in the last four year that should make me choose django as my new platform? Are they still actively developing it ? Just looking for honest feedback, not a sales pitch. Thanks in advance

Alex Mandel

Jan 24, 2014, 6:13:47 PM1/24/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
On 01/24/2014 03:04 PM, Bobby Roberts wrote:
> Hi group. I've been out if the django world for over four years. I am going to rebrand and replatform away from classic asp. Don't laugh. Yes I know it's sad. Without telling me how good django is, what has changed in the last four year that should make me choose django as my new platform? Are they still actively developing it ? Just looking for honest feedback, not a sales pitch. Thanks in advance

Have look over the release notes of major versions.
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/releases/

If you liked django before there's no reason to think you won't like it
now. There are all sorts of optional newer faster ways to get some
things done if you want to use them like the Class Based Views/Forms
auto generated from models (some people aren't fans but they can save
some major time).

Enjoy,
Alex

Lachlan Musicman

Jan 24, 2014, 7:14:27 PM1/24/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
I would say it's very actively developed and supported.

In 2010 release 1.1 was the newest stable. Currently it's 1.6 with 1.7
due in 3-4 months. Wikipedia shows that in those years:

1.2 17 May 2010 Multiple db connections, CSRF, model validation
1.3 23 Mar 2011 Class based views, static files
1.4 23 Mar 2012 Timezones, in browser testing, app templates
1.5 26 Feb 2013 Python 3 Support, configurable user model
1.6 6 Nov 2013 Dedicated to Malcolm Tredinnick, db transaction
management, connection pooling

- In the upcoming 1.7 release, migrations are moving into the
mainline (used to be an app called South)
- the tutorial docs are still the premier example of how docs should
be done for new comers to software
- the code itself is still very well documented in terms of APIs, the
IRC channel and this email list are both busy and helpful
- almost every deprecated function happens because it's being
replaced with a super sized version of itself
- community strong enough that the two BDFL have been able to step down

Check out the Two Scoops of Django too - a great follow up doc to the
tutorial, goes into a variety of best practices that have been
developed over the years.

L.

On 25 January 2014 10:04, Bobby Roberts <tche...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi group. I've been out if the django world for over four years. I am going to rebrand and replatform away from classic asp. Don't laugh. Yes I know it's sad. Without telling me how good django is, what has changed in the last four year that should make me choose django as my new platform? Are they still actively developing it ? Just looking for honest feedback, not a sales pitch. Thanks in advance

From this perspective it is natural that anarchism be marked by
spontaneity, differentiation, and experimentation that it be marked by
an expressed affinity with chaos, if chaos is understood to be what
lies outside or beyond the dominant game or system. Because of the
resistance to definition and categorisation, the anarchist principle
has been variously interpreted as, rather than an articulated
position, “a moral attitude, an emotional climate, or even a mood”.
This mood hangs in dramatic tension between utopian hope or dystopian
nihilism...
-----
http://zuihitsu.org/godspeed-you-black-emperor-and-the-politics-of-chaos

Doug Ballance

Jan 31, 2014, 1:24:55 AM1/31/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
There have been small, well thought out changes over the last 4 years but fundamentally most still remains pretty much the same.   I have several installs running an patched old .96 version, as well as newer stuff with later versions.  It all feels about the same to work with.   I recently upgraded one from 1.3 to the current with no breakage at all.  They've remained pretty true to the promise of backwards compatibility.  That also means some of the warts are still there like the difficulty in writing reusable apps, file based settings, multiple user profiles, that 30 char username length on the contrib.auth.User model.  Todays Django is a more mature, stable version of what you probably remember.

There have been some changes like south becoming the defacto standard for migrations, and geojango now a bundled part of django.  I think the biggest thing overall is the number of 3rd party apps available  ( https://www.djangopackages.com/ ).  There are some really useful ones like tastypie and django rest framework for out of box API (like the admin was for orm).  Celery for async tasks, several very nice CMS,  Authentication backends for most of the social media sites via python-social-auth.  Several nice asset managers.   Some nice things in the ORM too, like inheritance and a more useful select_related implementation.  Oh, and multiple database support!  Templates can now be cached. The storages api was introduced and there are several backends for doing things like uploading to amazon or other similar apis.

Sorry for the rambling, just throwing stuff out there!

Simon Charette

Jan 31, 2014, 4:14:19 PM1/31/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
Just wanted to add/correct two points.

That also means some of the warts are still there like the difficulty in writing reusable apps, file based settings, multiple user profiles, that 30 char username length on the contrib.auth.User model.

Django 1.5 ships with a configurable user model to allow you to define a username the way you want.

There have been some changes like south becoming the defacto standard for migrations...

Django 1.7 will ship with built-in schema migration.