I made my first Django app, its goal is to generate a styleguide from your scss files

Carlo Ascani

Jul 12, 2018, 8:38:16 AM7/12/18
to Django users
Hi all,

I just made my very first django reusable application.
Its goal is to create a styleguide starting from your scss files.

I would say that it is very frontend-developers-oriented (as I am).

Best,
Carlo

Melvyn Sopacua

Jul 12, 2018, 10:44:50 AM7/12/18
to django...@googlegroups.com
First and foremost: awesome job.

On donderdag 12 juli 2018 14:38:16 CEST Carlo Ascani wrote:

> More details, if interested: https://gitlab.com/2pxsolidblack/django-marple

Your requirements.txt is a straight dump of pip freeze, including the `-e .`.
That's not maintainable.

I would worry about scaling: it's rather large in setup, so if for instance I
would load bootstrap 4's scss, would this be a gigantic long page and menu?

Keep at it!
--
Melvyn Sopacua

Carlo Ascani

Jul 12, 2018, 11:12:55 AM7/12/18
to django...@googlegroups.com
Il giorno gio 12 lug 2018 alle ore 16:44 Melvyn Sopacua
<m.r.s...@gmail.com> ha scritto:

> First and foremost: awesome job.

Thank you!

> On donderdag 12 juli 2018 14:38:16 CEST Carlo Ascani wrote:
>
> > More details, if interested: https://gitlab.com/2pxsolidblack/django-marple
>
> Your requirements.txt is a straight dump of pip freeze, including the `-e .`.
> That's not maintainable.

mmm that requirements.txt is needed only for the demo project,
I suppose I could leave that out from the package...?

> I would worry about scaling: it's rather large in setup, so if for instance I
> would load bootstrap 4's scss, would this be a gigantic long page and menu?

That's an amazing feedback, will work on that, thank you!

> Keep at it!
> --
> Melvyn Sopacua

Carlo Ascani aka carloratm

http://carlo.ratm.gitlab.io
carloratm@freenode

Melvyn Sopacua

Jul 12, 2018, 4:14:34 PM7/12/18
to django...@googlegroups.com
On donderdag 12 juli 2018 17:13:52 CEST Carlo Ascani wrote:
> Il giorno gio 12 lug 2018 alle ore 16:44 Melvyn Sopacua
>
> <m.r.s...@gmail.com> ha scritto:
> > First and foremost: awesome job.
>
> Thank you!
>
> > On donderdag 12 juli 2018 14:38:16 CEST Carlo Ascani wrote:
> > > More details, if interested:
> > > https://gitlab.com/2pxsolidblack/django-marple
> >
> > Your requirements.txt is a straight dump of pip freeze, including the `-e
> > .`. That's not maintainable.
>
> mmm that requirements.txt is needed only for the demo project,
> I suppose I could leave that out from the package...?

It's convention that requirements.txt is for the project. You could leave it
out, or you could rename it to requirements-demo.txt so it's clear what it's
for. Would also make setting up "my own demo" easier.

> > I would worry about scaling: it's rather large in setup, so if for
> > instance I would load bootstrap 4's scss, would this be a gigantic long
> > page and menu?
> That's an amazing feedback, will work on that, thank you!

Related:
Normally, I setup:
scss/bootstrap.scss scss/bootstrap/variables.scss scss/bootstrap/color-
variables.scss and maybe a few others that override the standard bootstrap
settings and reference the package files in node_modules/ for the originals.

I wouldn't need documentation on the original bootstrap files, in fact, I'd
like my style guide to show only the files in scss/* not references in those
files to locations outside of it.

Maybe a little more complex so a long term goal for you :)

--
Melvyn Sopacua