PostrgreSQL Inside Virtualenv

tango ward

Jan 24, 2018, 3:49:17 AM1/24/18
to django...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Newbie question, since I installed django and pillow inside virtualenv, shall I also install PostgreSQL inside Virtualenv? At the moment I am still using SQLite in my pet project.

Regards,
Jarvis

Anoosha Masood Keen

Jan 24, 2018, 3:55:04 AM1/24/18
to Django users

Hi tangoward15. No need to install PostgreSQl at this stage. Just continue with the tutorial. SQLite works fine.

tango ward

Jan 24, 2018, 4:00:24 AM1/24/18
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi Anoosha,

Thanks for the response. I'm just curious if the installation of PostgreSQL should be inside Virtualenv too or should it be installed directly into the computer.

Andréas Kühne

Jan 24, 2018, 4:13:19 AM1/24/18
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The virtualenv is only for python things (django, pillow, the postgres connector). Postgres itself is a database server and needs to be installed on the host that you want to communicate with. It cannot be installed "only" in the virtualenv.

Regards,

Andréas

tango ward

Jan 24, 2018, 4:28:54 AM1/24/18
to django...@googlegroups.com

Anoosha Masood Keen

Jan 24, 2018, 4:29:33 AM1/24/18
to Django users
Install it on your computer.

tango ward

Jan 24, 2018, 4:33:59 AM1/24/18
to django...@googlegroups.com
Got it. Thanks Anoosha

Avraham Serour

Jan 24, 2018, 4:58:11 AM1/24/18
to django-users
In any case you'll need to pip install the postgres drivers for python, I suggest doing that inside the env

tango ward

Jan 24, 2018, 5:26:41 AM1/24/18
to django...@googlegroups.com

johnf

Jan 24, 2018, 7:37:10 PM1/24/18
to django...@googlegroups.com

I doubt it is possible to install Postgres into virtualenv???

At least I'm not aware that it can be done.  I'll do a little research and see if I can be done.  Of course it can be installed on VM.

Johnf

Antonis Christofides

Jan 25, 2018, 3:00:00 AM1/25/18
to django...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

as many people have said, you can't install PostgreSQL in a virtualenv (but you can install the Python package for connecting to PostgreSQL (such as psycopg2) in a virtualenv). Maybe my article virtualenv demystified could clear up some confusion as to what a virtualenv is and what it does.

Regards,

Antonis

Antonis Christofides
http://djangodeployment.com

bootcamprag

Jan 25, 2018, 1:27:08 PM1/25/18
to Django users
Hello I am new to this group. At what point do you install PostrgreSQL? Is it during the production phase?

yingi keme

Jan 25, 2018, 2:15:45 PM1/25/18
to django...@googlegroups.com
SQLite is fine when developing. But on production, it depends on the server you are going to host your site.

Some hosting service like pythonanywhere.com already provides you with POSTgresql. All you need to do is install the database adapter(psycopg2) in your virtual environment.

Yingi Kem

> On 25 Jan 2018, at 6:29 PM, bootcamprag <colli...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello I am new to this group. At what point do you install PostrgreSQL? Is it during the production phase?

bootcamprag

Jan 25, 2018, 4:39:43 PM1/25/18
to Django users
Yingi

Thanks for the info.. This is good to know...

Demayne

bootcamprag

Jan 25, 2018, 4:39:43 PM1/25/18
to Django users
Will that be a Pip install or from some other source? Thanks

yingi keme

Jan 25, 2018, 6:16:05 PM1/25/18
to django...@googlegroups.com
Its a pip install.

Yingi Kem

> On 25 Jan 2018, at 8:50 PM, bootcamprag <colli...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Will that be a Pip install or from some other source? Thanks

bootcamprag

Jan 25, 2018, 7:37:58 PM1/25/18
to Django users
Thanks again.