Nameless FileField

guettli

Mar 29, 2019, 6:43:57 AM3/29/19
to Django users
I think the current FileField is nice for some use cases,
but for other use cases it is too complicated.

Example:

class MyProfile(models.Model):
    picture = models.FileField()

If profile of user "foo" uses "foo.jpg" as picture,
and user "bar" uses "foo.jpg", too. Then
the profile picture of "bar" will overwrite the picture
of "foo.jpg".

I know that there are ways to work-around this.

But why not provide a more convenient way in future
releases of Django?

But maybe I am missing something.

Wouldn't it be nice, if there would be a nameless FileField?

I don't want to care about the name of the file. It can
be a uuid or other random data.

If you want to store some data like a blob, like BinaryField.
But, I don't want to store the blob in the
database, like BinaryField does. I would like to use a plugable storage.

Up to now you can't easily use FileField in create() or get_or_create().

It would be nice if you could use a nameless FileField like this:

    MyProfile.objects.create(picture=b'binarydata...')

What do you think about this idea?

Is it worth talking to django-developers, or is there already a solution,
which I just do not know up to now?

Regards,
  Thomas Güttler