Is it possible to swap 1.8 and 1.10/1.11 Admin static files

Mike Dewhirst

May 16, 2017, 3:43:03 AM5/16/17
to Django users
I have a user who is keen to revert to the "old" 1.8 look and feel for
his company now that we have upgraded to 1.10.

First question is it even possible?

I have tested this using blunt force and at first glance it *seems*
possible in both directions. However I have a suspicion there might be
tie-ins I have not discovered. Also. I haven't yet tried 1.11.

If it is feasible ...

Second question is how to do it.

I have stared long and hard at settings. I have this ...

STATICFILES_DIRS = [
os.path.join(BASE_DIR, 'static/').replace('\\', '/'),
os.path.join(BASE_DIR, 'company/static/').replace('\\', '/'),
os.path.join(BASE_DIR, 'substance/static/').replace('\\', '/'),
os.path.join(BASE_DIR, 'workplace/static/').replace('\\', '/'),
]

and

STATICFILES_FINDERS = [
'django.contrib.staticfiles.finders.FileSystemFinder',
'django.contrib.staticfiles.finders.AppDirectoriesFinder',
]

and I can get the user (company) from the request and I can create a
company subdir under 'company/static/<company>/' if that's where I
should be putting the admin files from 1.8. But then how do I tweak the
settings so the Admin uses the preferred company static files for just
that user?

Maybe instead, there is a company specific preference I can establish to
provide '/static/admin_1.8' for that user?

Maybe I need to have company-specific Admin templates which override the
block which reads the static files based on a company preference?

Any hints?

Thanks

Mike

Mike Dewhirst

May 29, 2017, 9:19:01 PM5/29/17
to Django users
Cancel this question. We will force the user to comply with our reality.

Cheers

Mike

Abraham Varricatt

May 30, 2017, 8:56:25 PM5/30/17
to Django users
How ... did you impose our will on this user? ;) I'd like to hear more ... for peaceful research purposes, of course.

-Abraham V.

Mike Dewhirst

May 30, 2017, 10:16:00 PM5/30/17
to 'Abraham Varricatt' via Django users
Haven't actually communicated our decision but I'll just see if they are
willing to fund the development involved in staying on an out-of-date
and soon-to-be-unsupported system we'll hire someone to do that.

I think.

Haven't done any research on best practice in this area. Happy to let
you know what happens ;)

Cheers

Mike
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/a1d84a3a-049b-4ba4-9641-579dab3e5f53%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/a1d84a3a-049b-4ba4-9641-579dab3e5f53%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Melvyn Sopacua

Jun 1, 2017, 3:34:06 AM6/1/17
to django...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday 31 May 2017 12:15:31 Mike Dewhirst wrote:

> Haven't actually communicated our decision but I'll just see if they

> are willing to fund the development involved in staying on an

> out-of-date and soon-to-be-unsupported system we'll hire someone to

> do that.

> I think.

> Haven't done any research on best practice in this area. Happy to let

> you know what happens ;)

I would start with the financials involved. Then provide two alternatives:

1) Address the usibility concerns he has, using template overrides.

2) Opt to install a completely different, well-maintained admin theme free of charge. It is less annoying to start fresh, then to adjust to slightly different placement / look of something that looks like the old. The latter triggers muscle memory that no longer works.

--

Melvyn Sopacua