Polls app not showing?

ScottW

Jun 26, 2019, 10:34:39 PM6/26/19
to Django users
Hi,

I'm attempting to get started with Django and very first part of the polls app. When I type "python manage.py startapp polls"  into the Windows Powershell I don't see a folder for it in my file explorer under "mysite". Even stranger is that when I type 'tree' for this folder it shows that its on the computer, but there's nothing in it besides 'migrations' and '_pycache_ '. Please refer to the screenshot attached for a picture of the Powershell code. If someone could help steer me in the right direction that would be great!
polls-tree.PNG

ojakol emma

Jun 27, 2019, 2:32:51 AM6/27/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
first go to installed apps in settings  then you install that app "POLLS"

On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 5:33 AM ScottW <spwin...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I'm attempting to get started with Django and very first part of the polls app. When I type "python manage.py startapp polls"  into the Windows Powershell I don't see a folder for it in my file explorer under "mysite". Even stranger is that when I type 'tree' for this folder it shows that its on the computer, but there's nothing in it besides 'migrations' and '_pycache_ '. Please refer to the screenshot attached for a picture of the Powershell code. If someone could help steer me in the right direction that would be great!

ojakol emma

Jun 27, 2019, 3:33:09 AM6/27/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
hv you got it

Joe Reitman

Jun 27, 2019, 9:28:53 AM6/27/19
to Django users
Did you create a project first with the 'startproject' command?

karthikvignesh28

Jun 27, 2019, 3:09:29 PM6/27/19
to Django users

On Thursday, June 27, 2019 at 8:04:39 AM UTC+5:30, ScottW wrote:
Hi,

I'm attempting to get started with Django and very first part of the polls app. When I type "python manage.py startapp polls"  into the Windows Powershell I don't see a folder for it in my file explorer under "mysite". Even stranger is that when I type 'tree' for this folder it shows that its on the computer, but there's nothing in it besides 'migrations' and '_pycache_ '. Please refer to the screenshot attached for a picture of the Powershell code. If someone could help steer me in the right direction that would be great!

Can you run the server Without Creating a new app?

ScottW

ScottW

Jun 27, 2019, 8:41:55 PM6/27/19
to Django users
Yep, followed the instructions to a tee on the Django site

ScottW

Jun 27, 2019, 8:44:09 PM6/27/19
to Django users
The server ran a few weeks ago before I ran into this issue. I used the run server command just now and now its not working. Interesting

vignesh karthik

Jun 28, 2019, 12:28:33 AM6/28/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
Create virtual environment

Scott Winter

Joe Reitman

Jun 30, 2019, 11:06:54 PM6/30/19
to Django users
What does your project directory look like?

Scott Winter

Jul 2, 2019, 10:25:35 PM7/2/19
to Django users
Ok, attached a pic of the mysite folder and the other items inside. Polls 2 and 3 are my attempt at making another polls app. Feels like I'm missing something really simple here.
mysite-tree.PNG

Joe Reitman

Jul 2, 2019, 11:02:32 PM7/2/19
to Django users
That looks really weird.

Try running this command in a new folder exactly as shown.
django-admin startproject polls_project .

Remember to include a space and period after polls_ project.

It should create a directory structure like this in your new folder.

.

├── manage.py

├── polls_project

│   ├── __init__.py

│   ├── settings.py

│   ├── urls.py

│   └── wsgi.py

Most developers use a virtual environment when creating new projects. A virtual env separates the dependencies between different projects. It is not necessary for you to do that on your first project so don't worry about it. You can always watch youtube tutorials on creating virtual envs later on.

Scott Winter

Jul 3, 2019, 9:03:47 PM7/3/19
to Django users
Ok so the images I attached to this comment are the view of the file path in my file explorer, which isn't consistent with the results of the tree command in "mysite". The files are there but I of course I don't see the polls app folders anywhere.

I entered the command you suggested and received the message "manage.py already exists, overlaying a project or app into an existing directory won't replace conflicting files"

And thanks for clearing up the virtual environment part.
mysite1.PNG
mysite2.PNG