Windows browser vs Django app running on Ubuntu in a VirtualBox

bobhaugen

Dec 5, 2015, 4:07:50 PM12/5/15
to Django users
Our friend Chris Troutner installed our Django 1.4 app on Windows  in a VirtualBox running Ubuntu.

He could access the Django app from the browser in Ubuntu, but not from the Windows browser.

He writes:
  • While you can access the front end in the Ubuntu VM, you can't access it from the windows desktop. You should be able to by pointing your Windows browser at http://192.168.56.101:8000, but that didn't work for me. 192.168.56.101 was the IP address Virtual Box assigned to its Host-Adapter. I can ping that address and SSH to it, but I can't bring up Django.

    This is most likely a simple fix with the network settings, but as of this writing, I haven't figured out a fix yet.

Anybody got any ideas so he can finish the story?
Thanks for any help you can offer.

Remco Gerlich

Dec 5, 2015, 5:10:17 PM12/5/15
to django...@googlegroups.com
He is running it with "./manage.py runserver", which listens to the local interface only (the 127.0.0.1 IP address).

To get it to listen to the external address instead, use "./manage.py runserver 192.168.56.101:8000" and then it will work. Or "0.0.0.0:8000" to listen to all interfaces.

Greetings,
Remco Gerlich

bobhaugen

Dec 6, 2015, 7:23:08 PM12/6/15
to Django users
Remco, thanks a lot for the response, and your answer makes sense to me. Unfortunately, I am not Chris, and I do not have a Windows box, so I need to wait until he gets time to try it out to validate it. But when he responds, I will, This is just to thank you for your answer and let you know that a proper response will be forthcoming.