calling the same app multiple times

john fabiani

Nov 7, 2022, 10:18:42 AM11/7/22
to Django users
Hi,

Django newbie question.

I have a desktop application that I would like to move to the web.  The
CRUD desktop app is written in python using wxPython. On the desktop app
the user can open the same form/window multiple times.  I would like to
know if I can do the same thing with Django.  My research has not left
me with a lot of confidence that it can be done.  I did see one thread
that suggested that it could be done by passing a new namespace.  But
that confused me.  All the demo's show that a URL is fixed.

If it can be done - are there any examples I can view?  If Django is
unable to do it (or it would be to difficult) does anyone have a
suggestion on other tech that might work and still work on the web.

Johnf

Ryan Nowakowski

Nov 13, 2022, 4:45:37 PM11/13/22
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hey John,

You could have 2 browser windows open to the same URL. Would that meet your requirements?

- Ryan

john fabiani

Nov 14, 2022, 12:12:29 PM11/14/22
to django...@googlegroups.com

Yes - I have been playing with just copying the url and reopening it again.  But I don't no how to do it in code (of course I'm only starting to search).  I did find "window.open()" apparently a javascript command.  I haven't tried to do anything with it yet.  Might try today.  That said, I was sure others have had to open the same form multiple times and I was hoping I find some examples.  So far, I have not found any examples.  I'm sure many others had to convert a desktop app to the web.  So how were they able to emulate the desktop features in the browser?

Johnf

Ryan Nowakowski

Nov 14, 2022, 1:57:55 PM11/14/22
to django...@googlegroups.com
window.open() will work.  You can also use an "a" tag with the target attribute set to "_blank" to open a link in a new window.

In general, the web is a different application paradigm than a traditional desktop application. For example, many users will assume that to open a second instance of the application, they just copy the same URL to a new browser window or tab. So you may not want to port your desktop application over to the web as is but instead, rewrite it with the web in mind.