Tweaking the admin title to display the model name

Mike Dewhirst

Mar 17, 2017, 12:21:33 AM3/17/17
to Django users
Currently in an admin model change form, the admin page title is "Change
<verbose_name_plural>"

How can I tweak the code or the template so it displays an attribute of
the model instance instead?

I'm trying to work on a few instances at the same time and having the
model instance identifier would be very useful.

Thanks

Mike

Andréas Kühne

Mar 17, 2017, 4:50:16 AM3/17/17
to django...@googlegroups.com
You can override the admin change form for the model you want and then change the title.

Regards,

Andréas

Mike

Mike Dewhirst

Mar 17, 2017, 6:22:31 PM3/17/17
to django...@googlegroups.com
On 17/03/2017 7:49 PM, Andréas Kühne wrote:
> You can override the admin change form for the model you want and then
> change the title.
>
> You can check here for some information:
> https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.10/ref/contrib/admin/#overriding-admin-templates

That's fantastic! Thanks Andréas ... here's the entire change in 2 lines:

{% extends "admin/change_form.html" %}
{% block title %}{{ original }}{% endblock %}

:-)

Cheers

Mike

> Regards,
>
> Andréas

> <mailto:mi...@dewhirst.com.au>>:
>
> Currently in an admin model change form, the admin page title is
> "Change <verbose_name_plural>"
>
> How can I tweak the code or the template so it displays an
> attribute of the model instance instead?
>
> I'm trying to work on a few instances at the same time and having
> the model instance identifier would be very useful.
>
> Thanks
>
> Mike

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/CAK4qSCc%2B3a-nSy_s7_TDLw5EJRaRHpWcpW-SfFZVSR%2B%2BmJNeng%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/CAK4qSCc%2B3a-nSy_s7_TDLw5EJRaRHpWcpW-SfFZVSR%2B%2BmJNeng%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Andréas Kühne

Mar 18, 2017, 3:54:37 AM3/18/17
to django...@googlegroups.com
Yeah I know - the django admin platform is really great - add the grappelli interface to it and you can use it as a proper backend for a project. :-)

Nice to see that I was able to push you in the right direction.

Regads,

Andréas

[...]

    --     You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
    Groups "Django users" group.

    Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/django-users
    <https://groups.google.com/group/django-users>.
    https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/bf52e2be-f042-dc0f-9e76-86a9ad62d6fc%40dewhirst.com.au
    <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/bf52e2be-f042-dc0f-9e76-86a9ad62d6fc%40dewhirst.com.au>.
    <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

Derek

Mar 20, 2017, 2:39:15 AM3/20/17
to Django users
Good point; with some work (e.g. adding actions), the admin can cover 80 to 90% of what most DB-focused projects will need - the django-suit interface also makes it look pretty slick!

Andréas Kühne

Mar 20, 2017, 4:57:20 AM3/20/17
to django...@googlegroups.com
Yes,

I actually have written an application where we use the django admin interface as the primary work area for the client who uses the system.

We use a lot of specially written actions and widgets, but it is really versitile. The only problem we have had was when we wanted to do polymorphism and nested formsets. That was a bit hard to write :-)

Regards,

Andréas

Derek

Mar 21, 2017, 3:53:32 AM3/21/17
to Django users
Interesting to hear, Andréas.  Have you written up any of your experience with the implementation of nested formsets?

Regards,

Andréas

Andréas Kühne

Mar 21, 2017, 4:23:04 AM3/21/17
to django...@googlegroups.com
No, sorry, we haven't written anything about it. It was another guy who wrote the code as well, so I'm really not the right person to ask :-)

Regards,

Andréas