Template packages for simple data entry and table data management for business applications

Kai Fisch

Feb 24, 2017, 7:52:53 AM2/24/17
to Django users
Dear Django Users,

I am super new to Django and did the tutorial from the django website so far. I come from Microsoft LightSwitch development, which I used to develop business applications. So the main part of this projects was to show tables with default operations (create, edit, delete, export to excel) and showing relations of table entries in one-to-many  or many-to-many relationships (a pizza has salami and cheese). I looked for a better solution with more felxibility in creating a web-based application with customized views. Because of the object-relational database maping I sneaked into Django and I think I like it. So, now you know a bit the backgroud, here comes my question:

Is there any widget/template set i can download and create web-based applications by simply instantiating templates/widgets for my model elements? I realy like the admin site but I came across some postings saying that this is a bad idea. But maybe its exactly what I am looking for. Maybe there are other packes that provide such templates/widgets.

I am realy thankful for any comment, help or link to relevant information.

Thank you!

Kai

Melvyn Sopacua

Feb 25, 2017, 1:37:33 PM2/25/17
to django...@googlegroups.com

On Friday 24 February 2017 01:15:12 Kai Fisch wrote:

> Is there any widget/template set i can download and create web-based

> applications by simply instantiating templates/widgets for my model

> elements? I realy like the admin site but I came across some postings

> saying that this is a bad idea.

Apply basic "the internet always knows best" filtering:

- Discard any without reason

- Discard any for which the reason does not apply

- Weigh pro's and cons of reasons that do apply

> But maybe its exactly what I am

> looking for. Maybe there are other packes that provide such

> templates/widgets.

The admin is excellent for your basic CRUD operations on a model level and to some extent on multiple models.

Nested inlines (Pizza -> Topping -> Ingredient) are not supported and probably the thing you're gonna run into.

While this can be seen as a disadvantage, there's something to be said about form/widget complexity: Is it really that important to have ingredients of toppings available when creating/editing pizza's or is it better to use two workflows?

Another thing you may run into with the admin is customized overviews, like dashboards and reporting features. A lot can be done with list_display and customized templates, but in the end the scope of a page is usually one model.

As for customized look/feel and widgets, here's some useful links:

--

Melvyn Sopacua