Which Version of Django

Muhammad Ahmed

Sep 30, 2014, 2:21:16 AM9/30/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am learning Django by using version 1.4 and I have completed first 4 introductory lessons.

However, I see that newest Django version is 1.7 and I feel that I am using an outdated version.

Being a newbie, I would like to ask that should I move to version 1.7 and which Django version is currently being used in "Professional Environments".

Please guide which version (of both Python / Django) should I follow?

Regards,

Muhammad Ahmed

Lachlan Musicman

Sep 30, 2014, 2:27:12 AM9/30/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
Muhammad,

Yes 1.7 is considered stable and is the best place to start.

Cheers
L.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/4cc3724d-d6d9-45f4-85d8-34df7d6ecc34%40googlegroups.com.

You have to be really clever to come up with a genuinely dangerous
thought. I am disheartened that people can be clever enough to do that
and not clever enough to do the obvious thing and KEEP THEIR IDIOT
MOUTHS SHUT about it, because it is much more important to sound
intelligent when talking to your friends.
This post was STUPID.
The Most Terrifying Thought Experiment of All Time
http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2014/07/roko_s_basilisk_the_most_terrifying_thought_experiment_of_all_time.html

Lachlan Musicman

Sep 30, 2014, 2:27:39 AM9/30/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
As to Python, it depends on what is available to you and you feel
comfortable with.

Either python 2.7.x or 3.3 (or 3.4, which ever is newest) should be fine.

cheers
L.

Muhammad Ahmed

Sep 30, 2014, 2:31:32 AM9/30/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Lachlan Musicman.

Be Blessed.

Mark Caglienzi

Sep 30, 2014, 3:28:53 AM9/30/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
On 29 Sep 23:21, Muhammad Ahmed wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am learning Django by using version 1.4 and I have completed first 4 introductory
> lessons <https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.4/intro/tutorial01/>.
>
> However, I see that newest Django version is 1.7 and I feel that I am using
> an outdated version.
>
> Being a newbie, I would like to ask that should I move to version 1.7 and
> which Django version is currently being used in "Professional
> Environments".
>
> Please guide which version (of both Python / Django) should I follow?

I agree with other advices to start with Django 1.7.
Django is very stable and the new functionalities are always introduced
in a very sane way. Also the deprecations are done well, and the
documentation is one of the best I have ever seen for a framework.

If I can go a little further, I say that if you are a Django beginner,
you could follow a very good book:
Test-Driven Development with Python using Django, Selenium and
Javascript. The book's website is http://obeythetestinggoat.com/

Happy Django-ing! :-)

Andreas Kuhne

Sep 30, 2014, 3:35:05 AM9/30/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
You should be aware that using python 3 will give you small problems regarding compability with several plugins for django. Python 3 is becoming more adopted, but it is not always easy to find plugins that do what you want in all situations. That being said, we have just rewritten our website in django 1.6 and python 3.4, just to adopt the latest. It is possible, but a bit harder. Also I find that I like the python 3 syntax better than python 2, but that's just me :-)

Regards,

Andréas

James Schneider

Sep 30, 2014, 4:01:08 AM9/30/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
Not to throw a wrench in to this conversation, but it should be noted that Django 1.4 is considered the LTS (long term support) version, and is acceptable for production use if you do not need any of the fancy features in 1.7.

If you are looking at a small project and don't mind upgrading between version releases, or you have need for some new feature in the Django core, 1.7 would be the way to go. If you are looking at a large long standing project, I would consider 1.4 for stability and minimal required security updates. I don't believe that the next LTS version has been announced yet, so I suspect 1.4 will be supported for the next year or so at minimum.

The version of Python to use probably should follow similar guidelines (2.7 being well established while 3.X is the new version with enhancements). The version available on your servers by default will probably also help drive this decision unless you are comfortable installing the version you want (although both 2.7 and 3.X are generally both easily made available on moderately recent versions of the major OS'). Availability of needed libraries is also a key factor, but the major ones shouldn't be an issue.

-James

Muhammad Ahmed

Sep 30, 2014, 6:12:46 AM9/30/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Andreas!

I started learning Python 3x and later on I used 2.7, hence the minor differences will probably not create problem for me.

Anyways thanks for your guidelines.

Muhammad Ahmed

Sep 30, 2014, 6:14:46 AM9/30/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Mark! Especially for book link. :)

Muhammad Ahmed

Sep 30, 2014, 6:19:17 AM9/30/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
Thank James for the insight about LTS.

As I am just learning Django and not yet working professionally. Hence I wanted to avoid any outdated version. However, I felt Django 1.4 is good.

I may use Django 1.4 back after having checked 1.7. :)

Thanks again for your time and valuable opinion.

Tim Chase

Sep 30, 2014, 1:08:57 PM9/30/14
to django...@googlegroups.com, mark.ca...@gmail.com
On 2014-09-30 09:28, Mark Caglienzi wrote:
> I agree with other advices to start with Django 1.7.
> Django is very stable and the new functionalities are always
> introduced in a very sane way.

I haven't seen any discussion of the deployment platform. I would
also recommend 1.7 for green-field development, but I had to drop
down to 1.6 on one recent project because my deployment host only
offered python2.6 (well, and 2.4, but THAT was OLD) and Django 1.7
uses some 2.7 features.

-tkc

Muhammad Ahmed

Oct 1, 2014, 2:27:40 AM10/1/14