GeoDjango

Samuel Brunel

Mar 18, 2017, 9:21:55 AM3/18/17
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I’m new on GeoDjango, I need to known If I can use GeoDjango as WMS ?

Best regards,

Samuel

Tim Graham

Mar 18, 2017, 9:35:31 AM3/18/17
to Django users
What's WMS? Is this package relevant https://django-wms.readthedocs.io/ ? (found with a web search for "geodjango wms")

Samuel Brunel

Mar 18, 2017, 11:02:20 AM3/18/17
to django...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot,

WMS is Web Map Server like MapServer (http://www.mapserver.org).

I think django-wms provides the service I need.

Derek

Mar 20, 2017, 3:37:10 AM3/20/17
to Django users
One option is to use Geoserver on the backend to manage your spatial data (in files or databases), and then to serve this via Django.

See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU_Jh6RcY24

Jani Tiainen

Mar 20, 2017, 4:06:16 AM3/20/17
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

There are several options how to actually server maps.

Few simplest options are running seperate server that serves maps like
MapServer, GeoServer or Mapnik.

Of course if you want to serve maps from Django directly that maybe tricky.

That django-wms package seems to leverage MapServer mapscript to publish
maps. Not sure how mature that project is.
--
Jani Tiainen

Suresh Nimbalkar

Mar 25, 2017, 7:51:30 AM3/25/17
to Django users
In this example, the author is simply using GeoServer to serve WFS layer (i.e. GeoJSON layer) to Leaflet. You can serve GeoJSON layers without the need of GeoServer. Any map based on GeoJSON data takes considerable time to load as against map based on WMS (i.e. image). Hence, this example is of not much use.

Derek

Mar 25, 2017, 10:36:49 AM3/25/17
to Django users
GeoServer allows you to serve multiple formats for a WFS (not just GeoJSON) - see
http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/services/wfs/outputformats.html

You also can't generalise about a WFS vs a WMS in terms of time - there are many instances where its much more efficient to serve vector data.

GeoServer is a really useful and powerful tool/system for serving WMS or WFS (or other outputs)  - but, as always, it depends on your specific use case as to what technology you should choose.

Alex Mandel

Mar 26, 2017, 11:46:37 PM3/26/17
to django...@googlegroups.com
I'll add that you could also use Geonode http://geonode.org/ which is a
Django front-end to a Geoserver instance.

I've also run Tilestache directly on GeoDjango tables stored in Postgis
to generate TMS style services.

Enjoy,
Alex

PS: GeoDjango has it's own mailing list.