Hosting recommendations please

Mike Dewhirst

Apr 2, 2019, 3:09:39 AM4/2/19
to Django users
I have to move three Django websites away from my current VM service
provider by the end of April because he is going out of the VM business.

One is a plain Mezzanine CMS on one VM running Nginx/Gunicorn and the
other two are on the second VM running Apache and mod_wsgi.

I'm most familiar with Ubuntu 16.04 and hope to go to 18.04.

I think the RAM requirements are around 4GB for the Apache sites and
half that for Nginx. Haven't done any profiling.

I'm in Australia. I'm after stability and reliability and if I'm lucky,
scalability.

If you have any negative comments about providers please send them off-list.

Many thanks

Mike

Joel Mathew

Apr 2, 2019, 4:06:28 AM4/2/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
I'm running mine off a Digitalocean 1GB droplet, and one hobby site off Heroku. Heroku has some latency noticeable occasionally, but the digitalocean droplet is perfect. I will scale to better specs once I go into active production. It's working fine for upto 10 users now.
Sincerely yours,

 Joel G Mathew

RLM

Apr 2, 2019, 6:26:46 AM4/2/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
Have you had a look at AWS?
We have had success with it.
Roger

Sasa Kalaba

Apr 2, 2019, 5:13:03 PM4/2/19
to Django users
1.) PythonAnywhere
      - use for lightweight applications. Extremely easy to setup.

2.) Heroku
      - easy to setup, and you can deploy anything up there. Price is also very reasonable. You'll have to get into some of the internal specifics (like dynos and whatnot).

3.) DigitalOcean
     - price wise the best option in my opinion. You'll have to setup everything yourself, but they have excellent tutorials in form of blog posts for virtually every stack possible. This is my personal favourite, since you custom setup == do whatever you want without limitations. Also a very good learning experience. Deploying with e.g. Heroku will leave you experienced to their ecosystem only. Deploying on DigitalOcean gives you a broader experience.

4.) AWS
     - nothing to say about AWS that hasn't already been said. Great for scaling apps, with like bigilion features.

All of these providers are very secure and dependable. I use them on a daily basis. Best of luck!

Mike Dewhirst

Apr 3, 2019, 2:33:01 AM4/3/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
Thank you everyone for your recommendations. I have decided to see what
DigitalOcean feels like.

Cheers

Mike

Saurabh Jaiswal

Apr 3, 2019, 5:28:43 AM4/3/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hey Mike,
Launch a digital ocean droplet with plesk 17.08 with decent specs and you can run all your three websites with ease on it on a single droplet.
You would have to setup apache mod_wsgi on it and you will be good to go.
If you need help do let me know.
I have been running my django projects without any hiccups.

Mike Dewhirst

Apr 3, 2019, 5:47:45 PM4/3/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
On 3/04/2019 8:27 pm, Saurabh Jaiswal wrote:
> Hey Mike,
> Launch a digital ocean droplet with plesk 17.08 with decent specs and
> you can run all your three websites with ease on it on a single droplet.
> You would have to setup apache mod_wsgi on it and you will be good to go.
> If you need help do let me know.
> I have been running my django projects without any hiccups.

Saurab

I use plesk in another area and can't complain. It is a good suggestion
but I'm looking for minimal change other than the essential infrastructure.

Thanks for the offer of help. I'll keep this email in case I try that as
well

Cheers

Mike
> <mailto:django-users%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.
> <mailto:django...@googlegroups.com>.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/CAOsmX49ecqimKO2RnBYQUinp5Km8GpX0-QVu_OcTAj6K%3Dzfcdw%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/CAOsmX49ecqimKO2RnBYQUinp5Km8GpX0-QVu_OcTAj6K%3Dzfcdw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Debabrata Chakraborty

Nov 30, 2019, 9:02:28 AM11/30/19
to Django users
Hi everyone,

I'm a beginner Django developer. So my apologies in advance for newbie like questions.

I am building my site with " Django version 2.2.5 " and " SQLite 3.30 " in back-end. My question is -

# Do services like "Heroku", "Digital Ocean", "Python Anywhere" and "AWS" - have limitation on which version of Django  or which DBMS I can use?

I've seen this before with PHP/MySQL hosting where some hosting companies will limit which version of PHP or MySQL one can use. Is the same applicable to Django hosting in the above mentioned hosting platforms as well?

I will very much grateful if you can help me out with this confusion.

Best

Deb

Integr@te System

Nov 30, 2019, 9:50:57 AM11/30/19
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi Deb,

Appropriate answer on service provider, bc of your requirement and their service alway mutability.