[ANN]: django-todo 2.0

Scot Hacker

Apr 10, 2018, 11:50:17 AM4/10/18
to Django users

“django-todo is a pluggable, multi-user, multi-group, multi-list todo and ticketing system - a reusable app designed to be dropped into any existing Django project. Users can create tasks for themselves or for others, or create ”assigned tasks” that will be filed into a specific list (public tickets).”

That was the original project description, and it hasn’t changed in 10+ years.

When I first created django-todo, it was a simple “let’s learn Django” project idea. I open sourced it, it’s been relatively successful, and the project has received numerous contributions over the years (grateful!). When I heard that it wasn’t compatible with Django 2.0, I looked back on that dusty old code and realized it was time for a major refactor/upgrade.

The update started small, but by the end, I had made 75 commits and written the first suite of working tests (finally!). Virtually every module and template has been refactored, I  adopted Bootstrap as the default layout engine, and finally got around to creating a live demo site for the project.

django-todo 2.0 requires Django 2.0 and Python 3.x  - no apologies. Unfortunately, this is a backwards-incompatible update (you’ll need to migrate old data manually, if you have any).

Hope it’s useful to a few teams or individuals out there. Contributions still very much welcome.

Demo site: http://django-todo.org/

Docs: http://django-todo.readthedocs.io/

Github: https://github.com/shacker/django-todo

Demo host site (which runs django-todo.org): https://github.com/shacker/gtd

katuramu henry

Apr 10, 2018, 5:55:04 PM4/10/18
to django...@googlegroups.com
This is awesome work Scot

Derek

Apr 12, 2018, 4:47:14 AM4/12/18
to Django users
Interesting to hear of this.

Unfortunately we are currently committed to Django 1.11 as it is an LTS, but if you're planning on keeping this in-sync with all 2.x releases, then that opens up the option to look at using this from 2.2 onwards (that's the next LTS).

Scot Hacker

Apr 12, 2018, 11:31:41 AM4/12/18
to Django users
On Thursday, April 12, 2018 at 1:47:14 AM UTC-7, Derek wrote:
Interesting to hear of this.

Unfortunately we are currently committed to Django 1.11 as it is an LTS, but if you're planning on keeping this in-sync with all 2.x releases, then that opens up the option to look at using this from 2.2 onwards (that's the next LTS).

I *believe* the only Django 2-only feature in use is the URL routing. While untried, I suspect it would be pretty easy to get it working in a 1.11 project site by copying the provided urls.py into your own project, rewriting it in the old style, and including that from your main urls instead. Would be interested to hear whether this works for you.

./s

Ankush Sharma

Apr 12, 2018, 11:37:02 AM4/12/18
to django...@googlegroups.com
Thanks ! I will try to implement as you suggested !!