Django formset, forms passing unique choices into a choicefield for each form

Brad Allgood

Dec 18, 2019, 11:18:17 AM12/18/19
to Django users
Initially posted on stack overflow:

I am working on what I thought was a simple college football confidence pool. The concept is as follows:

  • Bowl Model: Model that stores information of each bowl game being played this season
  • Team Model: Model for all the teams playing in a bowl with a foreign key to the bowl

models.py

    from django.db import models
    from django.contrib.auth.models import Group, User

    class Bowl(models.Model):
        """Model for Bowl Game information"""
        name = models.CharField(max_length=200)
        b_date = models.DateField(null=True, blank=True)
        b_time = models.TimeField(null=True, blank=True)
        tv = models.CharField(max_length=10)
        location = models.CharField(max_length=200)

        def __str__(self):
            """String for representing the bowl object"""
            return self.name

    class Team(models.Model):
        name = models.CharField(max_length=200)
        bowl = models.ForeignKey(Bowl,on_delete=models.SET_NULL,null=True)

        def __str__(self):
            """String for representing the intermediate table"""
            return self.name

I'm attempting to create a page has a formset which allows the user to pick the predicted winner of each game. Therefore I constructed the following view to call the form and formset.

views.py

   def fs_test(request):

       bowl_list = Bowl.objects.all()
       bowl_len = len(bowl_list)
       bowl_data = []

       TestFormSet = formset_factory(TestForm, extra=0)

       for bowl in bowl_list:
          bowl_data.append({
              't_bowl': bowl.name,'t_user':request.user,'t_weight':1,
              't_winner':winner_data,
          })

       if request.method == 'POST':
           pass
       else:
           formset = TestFormSet(initial=bowl_data)

           context = {
               'formset':formset, 'bowl_data':bowl_data
           }
       return render(request, 'catalog/test_bowl.html',context)

The following form inherits pre-populated data via passing "bowl_data" in the "initial" parameter.

forms.py

    class TestForm(forms.Form):
         def __init__(self, *args, **kwargs):
         super(TestForm, self).__init__(*args, **kwargs)
         self.fields['t_bowl'] = forms.CharField()
         self.fields['t_weight'] = forms.IntegerField()
         self.fields['t_user'] = forms.CharField()
         self.fields['t_winner'] = forms.ChoiceField(
             widget=forms.RadioSelect,
             required=True,
             choices=[(o.name, o.name)
                 for o in Team.objects.filter(bowl__name__exact=self.t_bowl)]
         )

I believe pre-populating the t_winner choices are failing because using the self.t_bowl in the query is just a field reference not the name of the field. I don't know how to pass in the "bowl" name to the form query. Or maybe I pre-populate the "choices" in the view but I don't know how to pass a dict into it and reference the correct index.

I've done some reading on the get_form_kwargs, but I'm not clear on how to use it in this instance.

It's entirely possible I'm using the wrong data model for this task, however I've been stumped for a couple of day on this. It took me a while to even figure out how to pass in unique "initial" values for each form in the formset.

Any recommendations would save what little hair I have left. Thank you!