CommandTemplate Behavior Is Inconsistent

John Gooding

Jul 5, 2019, 5:35:10 PM7/5/19
To be clear, I am not saying there is a bug. It does what it is programmed to do. I am saying the expected behavior of the API / CLI / whatever you want to call it is inconsistent.

I am not going to get into an argument of what a "proper" django structure is, etc. I want to focus purely on the behavior of the command.

A more "normal" setup might look like this:

/repository
  manage.py
  /project
    settings.py
    urls.py
    etc..
  /polls
    models.py
    etc...

When you run `python manage.py startapp polls` from the same directory as manage.py, it will create the polls directory for you, normal expected behavior.

Another, equally as valid setup looks like this:

repository/
  manage.py
  /project
    settings.py
    urls.py
    etc...
    /polls
      models.py
      etc...
    /my_app_2
      models.py
      etc...

Where all of the apps live in the project directory, or perhaps some other directory. Now if you try to execute `python manage.py startapp polls project`, it will complain that the directory doesn't exist and that you need to create it first. However if you `cd` into /project, and run `python ../manage.py startapp polls`, it will create the directory for you, even though it doesn't exist.

My ultimate point is this, the behavior of the command should not depend on where it is ran. It should only care if the directory already exists or not, which it does check, but the applied behavior of that check is different depending on if you're in the line 68 if block or the line 76 else block. The applied behavior ought to be the same, regardless of where the command is ran from.

Adam Johnson

Jul 6, 2019, 5:16:36 AM7/6/19
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi John!

Thanks for taking the time to compile a detailed bug report. Unfortunately, emailing django-developers isn't the right approach here - the mailing list is normally for higher level discussion. The normal process is to write a ticket on Trac, our ticket tracker: https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/internals/contributing/bugs-and-features/

I'd do it for you right now, but then you won't be subscribed to the ticket and able to answer replies. If you could take the time to submit it as per the guide, then we can have a proper conversation on Trac.

For what it's worth, at first glance I think you may have a bug here, and it might be worth adding some more logic for where new apps can be placed by startapp.

Thanks,

Adam

Adam