status of 1.11 release blockers

Tim Graham

Dec 21, 2016, 6:16:51 PM12/21/16
Time to kickoff the progress tracker for the next major release!

The 1.11 alpha is currently scheduled for January 16. My brother is getting married on the 15th, so it's unlikely I'll be doing much merging over that weekend. Maybe we can freeze at the end of the day on Friday and do the alpha release on Monday or Tuesday. The week before, I'll give review priority to any tickets marked "ready for checkin" by Monday, January 9. Please don't complain to me that your patch isn't included in 1.11 if you miss that deadline. :-)

The only "major feature" on the 1.11 roadmap [0] is template-based widget rendering which is (hopefully) in final reviews [1]. There are still plenty of "patches needing review" [2] if you want to help there.

There aren't any known release blockers at this time.

[0] https://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/Version1.11Roadmap
[1] https://github.com/django/django/pull/6498
[2] https://code.djangoproject.com/query?status=!closed&needs_better_patch=0&needs_tests=0&needs_docs=0&has_patch=1&stage=Accepted

Josh Smeaton

Dec 21, 2016, 7:26:47 PM12/21/16
There are two specific patches that I'll be looking to merge before the feature freeze. I'd appreciate more eyes on the following if anyone has some capacity (and knowledge) for review.

https://github.com/django/django/pull/7587 (Support server-side cursors for queryset iteration in database backends - Postgres)
https://github.com/django/django/pull/6478 (Explicit SubQuery (and EXISTS) support for QuerySets)

I'll be reviewing these two also, but I'd be keen to have people test them themselves with their own code bases before feature freeze.

Asif Saifuddin

Dec 26, 2016, 9:47:06 AM12/26/16

this feature https://github.com/django/django/pull/7482 will also be a very good inclusion.

Thanks

Tom Christie

Dec 26, 2016, 1:17:01 PM12/26/16

this feature https://github.com/django/django/pull/7482 will also be a very good inclusion.

Can't see simplified URL routing being complete before the feature freeze. What might be feasible is getting the URL kwarg type conversion basics in, so that it can fully exist as a third party package, with full support slated for 2.0.

Tim Graham

Jan 17, 2017, 11:20:36 AM1/17/17
I've reviewed and merged as much as I can (thank you to everyone who helped!) and plan to create the stable/1.11.x branch and issue the alpha release in approximately 7 hours.

Tim Graham

Feb 11, 2017, 5:14:34 PM2/11/17
Thank you to everyone who's tested their apps with Django 1.11. The beta release is planned for Monday, February 20. After that, only release blocking bug fixes will be accepted on the stable/1.11.x branch. There are currently no reported, unfixed regressions or other release blockers for 1.11.

Tim Graham

Mar 18, 2017, 7:49:43 PM3/18/17
A handful of blockers (mostly in the final stages) remain as of right now [0]. We're on track to issue the release candidate on Monday.

[0] https://code.djangoproject.com/query?status=!closed&severity=Release%20blocker&desc=1&order=changetime

Tim Graham

Mar 20, 2017, 8:00:30 PM3/20/17
We're not quite down with blockers -- one was reported a few hours ago, so I'm postponing the RC until tomorrow.