Saltar al primer mensaje no leído

Asif Saifuddin

no leída,
8 nov 2014, 4:01:288/11/14
a django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
 when https://github.com/django/deps/blob/master/drafts/content-negotiation.rst this dep is to be implemented in django? 1.8?

Regards

Asif

Florian Apolloner

no leída,
8 nov 2014, 10:55:518/11/14
a django-d...@googlegroups.com
Whenever it is done, I am not aware of anyone working on it.

Tom Christie

no leída,
8 nov 2014, 13:48:168/11/14
a django-d...@googlegroups.com
There's no particular timeline for it. The two people most likely to progress it are Mark Lavin and myself.

Mark is the author of the DEP and has been busy lately, focusing on releasing the "Lightweight Django" book that he's co-authored. He has mentioned that it's possible he'll get back to progressing the DEP following on from that.

My priority at the moment is the REST framework kickstarter, perhaps I'd get onto the DEP after that, tho as things currently stand I'd prefer if someone else was going to be primarily responsible and for me to just help with design guidance.

Anyone else is also free to get the ball rolling on it - we've got a very clear idea what we need, so it just needs someone to make the commitment to it, in which case I'd be very willing to also put some time into guiding it through.

Hope that helps answer your question. Contributions are of course very welcome,

All the best,

Tom

Asif Saifuddin

no leída,
9 nov 2014, 5:31:589/11/14
a django-d...@googlegroups.com
Thank you both for your kind response.

I have only almost about a year working with django and still learing. My django and python skills are still so limited as far I know. Reading the dep and other related links of discussions and browsing some source code things are bit overwhelming to me right now :p  but I am willing to expand my technical knowledge  by learning and trying to contribute on this part.

I have some limitations in design decisions and understanding the overall implementation process But still I want to start working on this part primarily with you guys helps and suggestions.

I'll be trying to enhance my knowledge base about django request response and other related stuffs necessary if you please show me some light to get started or from where actually should I start.

Kind Regards

Asif

Asif Saifuddin

no leída,
9 nov 2014, 8:36:539/11/14
[...]

10 nov 2014, 5:32:5410/11/14
a django-d...@googlegroups.com
> I'll be trying to enhance my knowledge base about django request response and other related stuffs necessary if you please show me some light to get started or from where actually should I start.

I'd generally think that a decent place to start would be to write up what some of the documentation *before* actually implementing any code.
Figure out where would you describe `request.data` in the Django docs, figure out what other bits of the DEP would need to be public documented API, ignoring the under-the-hood implementation details what does the user need to know about them and how they work?

An alternative way to get involved without necessarily diving right into the DEP might be to review any outstanding tickets to do with HTTP handling and requests and responses. Even if you don't feel able to resolve any of those issues having a browse through and trying to understand them would be a good way to start getting to grips with the Django codebase.

Hope that helps,

  Tom

Mark Lavin

no leída,
10 nov 2014, 10:43:4210/11/14
a django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Tom has done a great job describing why this has stalled recently. I plan to pick back up on this now that the book has been released. I agree that defining the public API is the best first step and the current DEP is not sufficient in this regard. Before making any internal changes we need to define how the user will define new content types: where and at what level. We also need to define how the user will describe multiple response types for a view.

At a code level it's worth digging into how the current form-encoded and multi-part data is detected and parsed in Django. It's also worth reviewing how this problem has been solved by the community before: django-piston, django-tasypie, django-rest-framework, django-nap, restless, etc to look for common patterns and solutions as well as things that haven't worked well in hindsight.

Best,

Mark
Responder a todos
Responder al autor