Implement Ruff Linter

Jerome Obi

Apr 3, 2023, 10:03:25 AM4/3/23
Hi !
I use Ruff as my primary Linter for all my Python Projects.

It's very fast and powerful, so I thought I could try it on Django Code.
With all options activated, Django is scanned in less than 1 second.
Here's the Configuration with all detected errors types ignored.

What do you think ?
Is it done the proper way ?

Adam Johnson

Apr 6, 2023, 8:16:00 AM4/6/23
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
I don't think we should adopt Ruff. It's a new, somewhat experimental project. It wouldn't provide any gains except speed, but that is not really a concern since it still takes a handful of seconds to lint Django with Flake8 and co.

charettes

Apr 6, 2023, 2:59:47 PM4/6/23
Strong agree with Adam here.

If Ruff current offer is enhanced speed at the cost of a less mature ecosystem I don't think that it's a tradeoff Django should make at the time being.

Simon