drop compatibility with Python < 2.7.8?

Tim Graham

Nov 14, 2016, 5:49:24 PM11/14/16

I was wondering if Django could or should nudge Python 2 users toward the latest stable release of 2.7.x? For example, we could require at least 2.7.8 by removing the fallback pbkdf2() implementation in django.utils.crypto [0]. I guess part of my feeling is that if you're running 1.11 LTS for at least another three years, you should really try to use the latest Python 2 as it has security improvements and fixes compared to the older 2.7.x releases.

As a data point, Ubuntu 14.04 ships with Python 2.7.6 and 16.04 ships with Python 2.7.12.

Thanks for your input.

Curtis Maloney

Nov 14, 2016, 5:51:28 PM11/14/16
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Well, I certainly agree with the intent... especially, as you say, for
LTS users who effectively cement themselves to a version for the long haul.

Might as well remind them there are security updates in things other
than OpenSSL, Java, and Django :)

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/16cafa10-d727-4b42-be26-4e5458520546%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/16cafa10-d727-4b42-be26-4e5458520546%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Claude Paroz

Nov 15, 2016, 2:20:16 AM11/15/16
I wouldn't spend too much energy about Python 2.7 stuff. Let the workarounds in place, and just wait for Python 2 to die. I don't see the point in forcing people of stable Debian-based distributions to install a custom Python for 1.11.

Marc Tamlyn

Nov 15, 2016, 4:02:23 AM11/15/16
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
I'd be inclined to agree with Claude.

On 15 November 2016 at 07:20, Claude Paroz <cla...@2xlibre.net> wrote:
I wouldn't spend too much energy about Python 2.7 stuff. Let the workarounds in place, and just wait for Python 2 to die. I don't see the point in forcing people of stable Debian-based distributions to install a custom Python for 1.11.

Shai Berger

Nov 15, 2016, 9:44:47 AM11/15/16
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
I would too, since the distros tend to patch the older Python versions without
updating the version number (2.7.8-12 etc).

On Tuesday 15 November 2016 11:01:42 Marc Tamlyn wrote:
> I'd be inclined to agree with Claude.
>
> On 15 November 2016 at 07:20, Claude Paroz <cla...@2xlibre.net> wrote:
> > I wouldn't spend too much energy about Python 2.7 stuff. Let the
> > workarounds in place, and just wait for Python 2 to die. I don't see the
> > point in forcing people of stable Debian-based distributions to install a
> > custom Python for 1.11.
> >
> > --
> > msgid/django-developers/e146d3c8-3d29-4ef3-8357-
> > 09a2e1ae2f34%40googlegroups.com
> > <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/e146d3c8-3d29-4ef3-8
> > 357-09a2e1ae2f34%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer> .

Tim Graham

Nov 15, 2016, 10:24:40 AM11/15/16
Okay, I'll drop the idea.