Removing old branches from the Django Git repository.

Mariusz Felisiak

Oct 10, 2019, 2:09:42 PM10/10/19
Hi y'all,

    We're going to remove some old branches from the Django Git repository on 1st November 2019:
  • 9 old branches related with Google SOC projects:
    • soc2009/admin-ui
    • soc2009/http-wsgi-improvements
    • soc2009/i18n-improvements
    • soc2009/model-validation
    • soc2009/multidb
    • soc2009/test-improvements
    • soc2010/app-loading
    • soc2010/query-refactor
    • soc2010/test-refactor
  • 17 attic branches:
    • attic/boulder-oracle-sprint
    • attic/full-history
    • attic/generic-auth
    • attic/gis
    • attic/i18n
    • attic/magic-removal
    • attic/multi-auth
    • attic/multiple-db-support
    • attic/new-admin
    • attic/newforms-admin
    • attic/per-object-permissions
    • attic/queryset-refactor
    • attic/schema-evolution
    • attic/schema-evolution-ng
    • attic/search-api
    • attic/sqlalchemy
    • attic/unicode
Best,
Mariusz

Adam Johnson

Oct 10, 2019, 3:15:12 PM10/10/19
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Can we leave magic-removal as a tag since it’s such a pivotal point in djangos history? xD

Adam

Tom Forbes

Oct 10, 2019, 4:09:24 PM10/10/19
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
I second this, there are a few other branches in that list (successful or not) that have historic value to Django. Is there a pressing need to delete them, other than spring cleaning?

I guess maybe it’s sentimental value, and nobody would ever check them out, but still...

Tom

Tim Graham

Oct 10, 2019, 8:28:30 PM10/10/19

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to django-d...@googlegroups.com.
--
Adam

Carlton Gibson

Oct 11, 2019, 1:01:48 AM10/11/19
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Tom’s Tag idea seems to hit the balance.

I’d like to clean them out. I use git branch all day and they’re just noise there.

Tags would keep the references we’d need to check them out, without the additional work of creating a separate repo, or learning new/arcane git features, which don’t merit the effort on any given day.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/c044ea54-e537-4141-ad1c-a3b034149f5d%40googlegroups.com.

Shai Berger

Oct 21, 2019, 2:42:52 PM10/21/19
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
+1 for keeping some way to reach these.

I was going to suggest two steps: Moving the soc*/* branches "under"
attic (that is, renaming them with the attic prefix), and using
something like "zzzattic" for the attic prefix so all attic branches
get pushed to the end of the list and don't get in the way so much.

But tags sound even better.

> >> send an
> >>>
> >> --
> >> Adam
> >>
> >> --
> >> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAMyDDM2kqTztbjzBg%2BOtTCO1M-5TxpaguH60BNv3m5TUe2T-dw%40mail.gmail.com
> >> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAMyDDM2kqTztbjzBg%2BOtTCO1M-5TxpaguH60BNv3m5TUe2T-dw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> >> .
> >>
> >> --
> > send an email to django-develop...@googlegroups.com.
> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/c044ea54-e537-4141-ad1c-a3b034149f5d%40googlegroups.com
> > <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/c044ea54-e537-4141-ad1c-a3b034149f5d%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> > .

Carlton Gibson

Oct 29, 2019, 7:18:48 AM10/29/19
OK, just to double-confirm. We will move the `soc` and `attic` branches to tags[*] with the next releases (Nov 4th that will be).

[*] Loosely: A branch is just tag that updates right? You can check them out, or create new branches from them just as easily. And these are "branches" that never will be updated[+].

[+] At some future point, I'm might be inclined to do similar to EOL `stable` branches... (Don't shoot me, note "at some future point..." :)

Kind Regards,

Carlton