SQLAlchemy integration - More details

stamati...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2017, 8:26:48 PM3/12/17
Hello.

I would like to request a bit more information about the SQLAlchemy integration project listed on the GSoC ideas: https://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/SummerOfCode2017#SQLAlchemyNoSQLintegration

Even though, I don't feel that I have the time to prepare a proper GSoC application (since it's already too late), I may be interested in implementing it anyway (outside GSoC). It seems very promising.

I did a 1-2 day "research" on "use django with SQLAlchemy" back when I discovered this specific project, but the results didn't really prove to be helpful to me.

Could I have a bit more information on this project? Previous discussions about it (if any)? Any directions?

Also, could someone explain a little more the following sentence, since it's not completely clear to me what is being asked here:  "take a set of models defined in a non-Django data store, and define the mechanisms necessary to expose those models in Django's contrib.admin interface"

What does "models" mean in this case?

I just want a small push to look into the right direction in order to approach this project.

Thank you very much for your time,
Ilias Stamatis

David Kiarie

Mar 15, 2017, 7:27:55 AM3/15/17

Another student here.

I did a bit of research on this project but might not be able to participate in GSoC. You might want to look at Daniels proposal here https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yp2_skqkxyrc0egdRv6ofnRGCI9nmvxDFBkCXgy0Jwo/edit#heading=h.uh2f0xewk32f

stamati...@gmail.com

Mar 17, 2017, 3:17:29 PM3/17/17
Hello David.
I will check it for sure, thank you!

Bertrand Bordage

Mar 19, 2017, 11:34:38 AM3/19/17

Have you considered using Peewee?
It’s easier to use, lighter, and from what I measured over time, it’s way faster.

I did a tiny comparison years ago. I didn’t take time to update this comparison, but since I ditched SQLAlchemy in favor of Peewee for non-Django projects, I’m very happy with it. And every time I made some punctual performance measures, Peewee was faster than both Django & SQLAlchemy.

Regards,
Bertrand