Blocking disposable or temporary email addresses

Yonas

May 11, 2022, 5:21:09 PM5/11/22

Hope everyone is doing well!

What does the community think about adding a feature to Django where disposable or temporary emails are not accepted during account registration?

Best,
Yonas

Dylan Reinhold

May 11, 2022, 5:26:37 PM5/11/22
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
You will never be able to define a "disposable or temporary" email address or provider, so it's a non-starter from my perspective.

Dylan

James Bennett

May 11, 2022, 5:44:28 PM5/11/22
On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 2:21 PM Yonas <ytila...@alumni.alueducation.com> wrote:
What does the community think about adding a feature to Django where disposable or temporary emails are not accepted during account registration?

I used to try to do this in my django-registration package, but eventually gave up on it because maintaining an up-to-date list of all possible domains and other patterns was not feasible. I expect the same would be true with Django — it would require frequent updates to the list of domains/patterns to block, and people would complain that the updates weren’t fast enough, because Django only releases once a month (and that’s assuming updates to the blocked email list would be considered for inclusion in the monthly bugfix releases, rather than only at feature release updates).

So I expect this isn’t something Django could or should do.

Yonas

May 11, 2022, 6:45:59 PM5/11/22

Would syncing the block list from repos like https://github.com/disposable-email-domains/disposable-email-domains (actively maintained since 2014) ease the burden of updating the list?

Tobias McNulty

May 11, 2022, 8:09:47 PM5/11/22
to django-developers
Hi Yonas,

Thanks for sharing this list. Even so, in my opinion, this feature lives best outside of Django where it can be appropriately customized as needed for a given project.

I hope this helps.

Best,
Tobias

Adam Johnson

May 12, 2022, 4:43:28 AM5/12/22
I would say this feature is a bit more questionable these days, since even big companies like Apple provide "disposable" email addresses for privacy protection.

And I also agree this would be better in a separate package, where updating the list of domains would be easier and not tied to Django's eight-monthly release cycle.