First ASGI pull request is ready for review

Andrew Godwin

Apr 24, 2019, 4:50:33 PM4/24/19
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to drop a note and say that the first pull request in the series needed to enable async in Django is now ready for review: https://github.com/django/django/pull/11209

This is a very minimal amount of work to get Django async-safe and understanding ASGI as an application interface, but the idea is to land this so it's definitely in 3.0, and then work on getting async abilities down to views before the 3.0 feature freeze if we can.

Once those two things are down, we can then expand the effort out a lot more and have some work for new contributors to get their teeth into, as we can then start making all the other parts of Django async-capable as a parallel effort.

Reviews and comments on the PR are encouraged; I want to make sure this is not going to hurt existing sync Django when it lands, and that it's a useful stepping stone towards async in views.

Andrew

Curtis Maloney

Apr 24, 2019, 7:00:57 PM4/24/19
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
I cannot find emoji enough to express how much I appreciate the work
you've put into this :)

--
Curtis

Andrew Godwin

Apr 30, 2019, 11:19:41 PM4/30/19
So, it looks like most of the comments on this PR have happened and been resolved - unless anyone has any objections, I will merge it in after a couple more days (just in time for PyCon US).

Andrew

Mariusz Felisiak

May 1, 2019, 2:34:25 AM5/1/19
Thanks for this patch. Can you add a trac ticket? also Can you give me & Carlton few days for review? I should be able to do this somewhere in the next week.

Are we going to create "Async" DEP?

Best,
Mariusz

Andrew Godwin

May 1, 2019, 2:46:44 AM5/1/19
On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 11:34 PM Mariusz Felisiak <felisiak...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for this patch. Can you add a trac ticket? also Can you give me & Carlton few days for review? I should be able to do this somewhere in the next week.

I can indeed. I wasn't sure if you wanted to get around to reviewing it or not, but take all the time you need to review. I'm sure there's some more in there that could be tightened up.

(Forgive me if I seem like I am being pushy - just trying to make sure we keep forward progress!)

Are we going to create "Async" DEP?

We probably should do now there is a more solid plan - the discussion on the mailing list from before was only really about this first step, not about what it would look like to adopt this more fully. I don't think the solid agreement from before means we get to skip writing this up, and from here on out it becomes much more of a new feature than merely adding safety and a new handler.

Andrew

Carlton Gibson

May 1, 2019, 2:55:26 AM5/1/19
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I’ll review properly first half of next week.

For the DEP, can you break out how and where people might input. There’s massive interest. 🙂

Great work as ever Andrew. Thank you so much!

C.

Elad Yaniv

May 1, 2019, 11:30:32 AM5/1/19
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Exciting stuff!
does this mean that django 3.0 COULD  compete with frontend js frameworks ? (angular react vue)
if the answer is yes  i will be a very happy developer

Great work!
Elad.

Andrew Godwin

May 1, 2019, 12:10:35 PM5/1/19
This is quite unrelated to frontend - I'll explain more of the impact and potential impact in the DEP when I write it up.

Andrew