Updating the documentation search

Paolo Melchiorre

Oct 10, 2020, 4:26:35 AM10/10/20
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Working at my latest talk on full-text search I found out all the
great search-related improvements in latest versions of PostgreSQL and
Django

After my presentations I've also collected a lot of feedback and
suggestions to improve the search function in the djangoproject.com
website from Django users and developers.

I think that can be useful for everyone to improve the search function
in the djangoproject.com website using the latest version of
PostgreSQL and Django.

Here's an outline of improvements I would add to the documentation search:
- Upgrade PostgreSQL from 10 to 12 (to add websearch and more languages)
- Upgrade Django from 2.2 to 3.1 (to add support for websearch query
and highlighted search)
- Add websearch type for search query (to permit control on user search)
- Add highlighted search results (to have better results)
- Improve the UX/UI in the search results page (to help choosing the
right results)

I opened the issue 1031 [1] in github with this outline in it and also
the PR 1030 [2] and PR 1032 [3] for the first 2 steps that can be
merged as is (I think) because they contain basic Django and
PostgreSQL improvements.

Adam Johnson has already reviewed the PR 1032 and I'm asking for some
other feedback and reviews on the issue and both opened PRs.

Thanks,
Paolo

[1] https://github.com/django/djangoproject.com/issues/1031
[2] https://github.com/django/djangoproject.com/pull/1030/files
[3] https://github.com/django/djangoproject.com/pull/1032/files

--
Paolo Melchiorre

https://www.paulox.net

Carlton Gibson

Oct 10, 2020, 4:56:52 AM10/10/20
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paolo,

Thank you for this! Absolutely super that you’ve taken this on.

I’ve noted your PRs and they’re on my list to look at, hopefully next week.
(Others please do too! 🙂)

🏅

Kind regards, Carlton

Paolo Melchiorre

Oct 10, 2020, 11:36:28 AM10/10/20
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Oct 10, 2020 at 10:56 AM Carlton Gibson
<carlton...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Paolo,
> Thank you for this! Absolutely super that you’ve taken this on.
> I’ve noted your PRs and they’re on my list to look at, hopefully next week.
> (Others please do too! )

Thanks Carlton,

I've aligned both my PRs with the master branch and updated a bit
after reading some comments from Adam.

Feedback and comments from everyone are welcome to the issue
https://github.com/django/djangoproject.com/issues/1031

Have a good weekends,
Paolo