Speedy Mail 2.0 - a new webmail platform in Python and Django

Uri Even-Chen

Jul 21, 2015, 2:08:03 PM7/21/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
To Django developers,

I'm interested in creating a new webmail platform based on Python and Django, which will be free software & open source - Speedy Mail 2.0 (Speedy Mail 1.0 and 1.1 were based on a Perl software - Endymion MailMan web-mail, from 2000 to 2005). I want Speedy Mail 2.0's features to be as similar as possible to Gmail - with labels, filters, 12 different stars, composing more than one mail at a time, etc. I would like to know if there is any free software in Python and Django we can base Speedy Mail on, or maybe something in another language (such as PHP) which we can convert to Python and Django? And are you interested in helping me develop Speedy Mail, or do you know when I can find developers who may be interested?

By the way, is there a simple way to convert PHP software to Python, or do we have to rewrite in again line by line?

Thanks,
Uri.

Javier Guerra Giraldez

Jul 21, 2015, 3:02:18 PM7/21/15
On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 1:05 PM, Uri Even-Chen <u...@speedy.net> wrote:

> By the way, is there a simple way to convert PHP software to Python, or do we have to rewrite in again line by line?

if you do, you wouldn't gain anything. the advantage isn't in the
language, it's in the architecture.

--
Javier

Shai Berger

Jul 21, 2015, 3:20:46 PM7/21/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Uri,

On Tuesday 21 July 2015 21:05:03 Uri Even-Chen wrote:
> To Django developers,

This list is for discussions about the development *of* Django. For issues of
development *with* Django, please write to django-users.

Thanks,
Shai.

Curtis Maloney

Jul 21, 2015, 8:40:41 PM7/21/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Guess I should sign up on django-users so I can throw my hat in for
this... I've yearned for a Python-based webmail that has a featureful
UI :)

So far there's only Modoboa, excellent as it is. Competition is healthy, so...

--
Curtis

Uri Even-Chen

Jul 22, 2015, 3:09:17 AM7/22/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com

Thank you Shai, I will write django-users.

Uri.

בתאריך 21 ביולי 2015 22:20,‏ "Shai Berger" <sh...@platonix.com> כתב: