Additional column in Queryset with condition

Saurabh Adhikary

May 23, 2020, 7:33:31 AM5/23/20
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hello ,

I need some advice / tips.

I am in a fix.
I have 2 databases & I want to join 2 tables of that. As we know the foreign key concept with 2 separate databases is not possible.

Basically what I want is to add a custom column to a queryset and pass the current row.name value to a function and that function will return location. The return value should be saved for each row individually. Each row will have different values. Currently, by annotate the function is calling but :
1)  name values are not getting passed
2) anything returned once is saved for the entire queryset.

Constraint - change in models is difficult for my prod environment.

database1.table1

database2.table1
name rating
outlet location
pizza hut 5
pizza-hut Mumbai
mc donalds 4
mc-donalds Washington

Now, I want to get location from database2.table1 and sort it with this field .

What I have tried :
1 - queryset.annotate(loc=Value('abc', output_field=CharField())) and later updating the queryset.  But the main queryset doesn't gets updated by each row of the custom column. All the values gets updated by the same value.
2 - queryset.extra(select={'loc': myfunc('name')}) but here the column values are not getting passed.
3 - queryset.extra(select={'loc': "select 'location' from database2.table1 where outlet == %s"},select_params=('name',)) but here the column values are not getting passed.

Kindly , if you can help find a solution by :
- handling the queryset in a better way
- writing a query like Count as that is working fine for a similar column (although I know this works on Foreign key, but still if the logic is helped how to write Count type of function I can write my own snippet)

Regards,
Saurabh Adhikary

Adam Johnson

May 23, 2020, 10:41:58 AM5/23/20
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

I think you've found the wrong mailing list for this post. This mailing list is for discussing the development of Django itself, not for support using Django. This means the discussions of bugs and features in Django itself, rather than in your code using it. People on this list are unlikely to answer your support query with their limited time and energy.

For support, please follow the "Getting Help" page: https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/3.0/faq/help/ . This will help you find people who are willing to support you, and to ask your question in a way that makes it easy for them to answer.

Thanks for your understanding and all the best,

Adam

Adam

Saurabh Adhikary

May 23, 2020, 11:20:47 AM5/23/20
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hey Adam,

Thanks for your reply.

While writing this code I have found a bug . I shall start a new thread for that then.

Thanks ,
Saurabh