GSoC Proposal (FormSet Improvement)

PARTH PATIL

Apr 1, 2019, 3:29:33 PM4/1/19
Here is a link to my GSoC proposal
Its a first draft so you are open to comment and suggest changes

Best Regards,

PARTH PATIL

SOFTWARE DEVELOPER, AUV-IITB

CONVENOR, ELECTRONICS & ROBOTICS CLUB IIT BOMBAY.

Image result for FACEBOOK ROUND ICON Image result for instagram ROUND ICON Image result for linkedin ROUND ICON

GSoC Project proposal.pdf

Asif Saif Uddin

Apr 2, 2019, 12:34:01 AM4/2/19
It would be great if you could find out 12 weeks of work with formset improvement. please try to include for improvements and add more technical aspects you are going to fix or include.

PARTH PATIL

Apr 2, 2019, 12:54:21 AM4/2/19
to django-d...@googlegroups.com

Best Regards,
PARTH PATIL

On Tue, 2 Apr 2019, 10:04 am Asif Saif Uddin, <auv...@gmail.com> wrote:
It would be great if you could find out 12 weeks of work with formset improvement.

Yes I'm searching for it and will update the proposal accordingly. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

please try to include for improvements and add more technical aspects you are going to fix or include.
Regarding technical aspect, I'm confused about how much detail is needed, because I can decide the architecture only after discussion with mentors  (right?)

Carlton Gibson

Apr 3, 2019, 11:28:26 AM4/3/19
Hey Parth.

Right. So, thanks for making the effort so far. Good.

Can you add more detail about yourself. You've not contributed to Django right? So the concern at this point would be whether you're able to fulfil the project.
What's your experience with Django? (and if you want to implement a declarative formset syntax, Python more generally?)
(Perhaps you said this, but it needs to be in the proposal.)

You don't necessarily need to have ideas for the final code, but what does e.g. the usage look like with your idea (i.e. adding the request parameter)?
(So the formset gets the request and this is available where...? and so on: can you SHOW in your proposal that this WILL address the issues?)

HTH.

Kind Regards,

Carlton

PARTH PATIL

Apr 3, 2019, 11:51:18 AM4/3/19

On Wednesday, April 3, 2019 at 8:58:26 PM UTC+5:30, Carlton Gibson wrote:
Hey Parth.

Right. So, thanks for making the effort so far. Good.

Can you add more detail about yourself. You've not contributed to Django right? So the concern at this point would be whether you're able to fulfil the project.

I have contributed to Django (see #30189), I have mentioned it at the end of my proposal, I would try to highlight that.

What's your experience with Django? (and if you want to implement a declarative formset syntax, Python more generally?)
(Perhaps you said this, but it needs to be in the proposal.)

Sure I will add some of my projects in the proposal.

You don't necessarily need to have ideas for the final code, but what does e.g. the usage look like with your idea (i.e. adding the request parameter)?
(So the formset gets the request and this is available where...? and so on: can you SHOW in your proposal that this WILL address the issues?)

I'm a little bit confused here, What you mean by "SHOW that this works"?
  • Do you just write some pseudo code, and say this will work?
  • Or I have to prove in some way that this will work??

Carlton Gibson

Apr 3, 2019, 11:52:57 AM4/3/19
Yes, just pseudo code — so when reviewing your proposal next week it's easy to see that it'll be the right approach. 🙂

PARTH PATIL

Apr 3, 2019, 12:06:26 PM4/3/19
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Yes sure I will try to update my proposal by tomorrow (4th April) night (IST +5:30), So  please have a look at it once again, and suggest changes.

Best Regards,
PARTH PATIL

Asif Saif Uddin

Apr 4, 2019, 12:32:01 AM4/4/19
I checked your contribution Parth, really good one! once you improve your proposal, try to focus more on form/formfield/formset/widget/admin/ related issues so that you have a better insight into what your proposal going to improve in those areas. And popular and useful extensions could be benefited from x features to be implemented in that way etc. triaging the related area based tickets and fixing some more related issues not only improve your chance to get selected but help you understand the related areas much better. good luck for GSoC this year.

On Wednesday, April 3, 2019 at 10:06:26 PM UTC+6, PARTH PATIL wrote:
Yes sure I will try to update my proposal by tomorrow (4th April) night (IST +5:30), So  please have a look at it once again, and suggest changes.

Best Regards,
PARTH PATIL

PARTH PATIL

Apr 4, 2019, 9:19:45 AM4/4/19

On Thursday, April 4, 2019 at 10:02:01 AM UTC+5:30, Asif Saif Uddin wrote:
I checked your contribution Parth, really good one!

Thank you :)

once you improve your proposal, try to focus more on form/formfield/formset/widget/admin/ related issues so that you have a better insight into what your proposal going to improve in those areas. And popular and useful extensions could be benefited from x features to be implemented in that way etc. triaging the related area based tickets and fixing some more related issues not only improve your chance to get selected but help you understand the related areas much better. good luck for GSoC this year.

Thanks again for the advice, I'm trying to compile a list for tickets that can be directly or indirectly fixed by my project. Also trying to find 12 weeks worth of work in the formsets.
My main focus right now is:-
  • Making the request variable available throughout the formset
  • Handling relation fields in ModelFormSet  (* new)
  • declarative syntax for formset (#10403)
  • adding pagination option / pretty print
Feel free if you would like to add something to this.

PARTH PATIL

Apr 5, 2019, 8:42:26 AM4/5/19
I have updated my proposal please have a look

Asif Saif Uddin

Apr 6, 2019, 11:29:01 AM4/6/19
Regarding the declarative syntax, I might share some insights later with you.

PARTH PATIL

Apr 6, 2019, 12:30:02 PM4/6/19
Sure that would be nice, as I even mentioned in my abstract I definitely need help for that one.

Asif Saif Uddin

Apr 6, 2019, 1:08:42 PM4/6/19
I will try to come up with an initial step for that hopefully by tomorrow. In the meantime, I hope you will keep trying to improve your proposal by analyzing open form/formset related issues, some of whom you could try to fix to get more insight.

PARTH PATIL

Apr 7, 2019, 5:35:19 PM4/7/19
I have done some MAJOR changes/improvements to my proposal please have a look. I have added technical description and addressed more issues related to the forrmsets. Suggest any changes if needed.

PARTH PATIL

May 7, 2019, 9:15:45 AM5/7/19
Hello everyone,

I would like to thank everyone here and everyone who helped me to improve my project idea. This project has been accepted and I will try my best to completewhatvI have promised.

I was wondering what is the next step? Are there any kind of formalities to be completed?

Best Regards,
PARTH PATIL

Asif Saif Uddin

May 7, 2019, 9:28:45 AM5/7/19
Congrats Parth. It would be great If your contributions could be accepted in the next versions of django, I have some od works related to declarative formsets. I will clean them up and bring to you so that you can move that forward with mentors/communities help.
Best of luck.

PARTH PATIL

May 7, 2019, 1:45:21 PM5/7/19
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Asif.

And yes surely I would like to take forward your work, and it will surely help me in my project.