status of 1.8 release blockers

Tim Graham

Dec 20, 2014, 2:40:33 PM12/20/14
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
As we approach the date for 1.8 alpha, I plan to send a weekly update on the status of release blocking issues.

We currently have 3 release blockers affecting master. You can use this Trac filter to see them:
https://code.djangoproject.com/query?status=assigned&status=new&version=master&severity=Release+blocker

You can also see other tickets we are targeting for 1.8 with this filter. This includes some of the remaining large features as well as a couple code reorganizations we want to make closer to when cut the 1.8 branch to avoid creating conflicts with the large features that are in progress.
https://code.djangoproject.com/query?status=assigned&status=new&keywords=~1.8-alpha

Here is a summary of where we stand with each release blocker:

#23861 -
 Fields referenced in migrations cannot be (re)moved, even if migrations have been squashed
Owner: ?

#22340 -
Legacy Table Creation Methods Not Properly Deprecated
Owner: Claude

#23271 - Makemessages can corrupt existing .po files on Windows
Owner: Ramiro

Riccardo Magliocchetti

Dec 21, 2014, 5:39:01 AM12/21/14
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Il 20/12/2014 20:40, Tim Graham ha scritto:
> You can also see other tickets we are targeting for 1.8 with this
> filter. This includes some of the remaining large features as well as a
> couple code reorganizations we want to make closer to when cut the 1.8
> branch to avoid creating conflicts with the large features that are in
> progress.
> https://code.djangoproject.com/query?status=assigned&status=new&keywords=~1.8-alpha

Would be possible to add the better extends algorithm for templates to
the desired stuff for 1.8 alpha? Code should be in pretty good shape but
it's intertwined with Aymeric multiple template engine work.

Ticket: https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/15053
PR: https://github.com/django/django/pull/3475/

thanks,
riccardo

Russell Keith-Magee

Dec 21, 2014, 6:43:25 PM12/21/14
to Django Developers
Aymeric indicated he was going to land his template stuff in the next couple of days, so that would give you a couple of weeks to work through the last details and get it into trunk for a 1.8 release. In the meantime, if you get a merge ready against his branch, you'll be ready to go as soon as he lands his code.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

Markus Holtermann

Dec 21, 2014, 7:50:21 PM12/21/14
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hey Tim,

thanks for the collection of tasks that have to be done for 1.8.

Especially wrt #23861 and #23891 I just realized that, since 1.8 is an LTS release, we'd need to support and that field (and related changes) until 2018. That's Django 2.2/2.3 I guess. Considering the ideas that exists to tackle that problem, I'm almost certain the backporting overhead required for fixes is huge once the code is removed from the general releases. I'm not sure about #22340, though, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the same. I don't think we should consider delaying the deprecation to 2.0 or later. From my perspective this has to be fixed and decided for 1.8. Otherwise we are going to make our life a living hell.

I'm happy to assist and answer questions, but I don't have the time to completely work out and write down a solution.

/Markus

Tim Graham

Dec 27, 2014, 10:46:52 AM12/27/14
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Here is the second update with three weeks to go until alpha:
#23891 - Revise deprecation / removal timeline for IPAddressField
Owner: ?
This week: On ticket #23891 I proposed the idea of moving model field deprecation warnings to the system check framework. I am waiting for feedback on this approach before investing further.
Last week's status: We need someone to investigate a strategy for how we can deprecate model fields while keeping them available in historical migrations. Any takers? If we cannot complete this, I propose we bump the deprecation of IPAddressField until the issue is solved.
Owner: ?
This week: I think the performance concerns are no longer a blocker to resolving this ticket (see the mailing list thread for details). I did research on the remaining work needed and left a comment on the ticket. I will work on the implementation next week if no one else picks it up.
Last week's status: This issue is being discussed in the thread "Migrations in Django 1.7 make unit testing models harder". In short, we likely to need to solve the performance issues with migrations before we can proceed with the deprecation. If we cannot, we'll likely have to delay the deprecation.
This week: no update
Last week's status: Ramiro said he would have some time to investigate the issue soon.

#23745 - Migrations migrate is slow (new)
Owner: Claude

Claude Paroz

Dec 29, 2014, 4:40:06 AM12/29/14
On Saturday, December 27, 2014 4:46:52 PM UTC+1, Tim Graham wrote:
#23745 - Migrations migrate is slow (new)
Owner: Claude

Sorry, but I'm afraid you should remove my name as the owner at this stage.

Claude

Markus Holtermann

Dec 30, 2014, 7:49:59 AM12/30/14
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
I took a look at the PR and added a test case that passes on stable/1.7.x and master. If the PR is applied as-is it fails: https://github.com/MarkusH/django/commit/9bc0d669e1fec3d9b3886ecf0c44bbf77b25ef6d . But I'd like to get a few more eyes on the test so we can make sure it correctly represents the issue described in the ticket.

I furthermore tried to fix the issue with the patch in https://github.com/MarkusH/django/commit/9651ceebfe5a27bf4a095098e92454766480d931 . Assuming the test above is correct, this might be a way to solve the issue.

/Markus

Tim Graham

Dec 30, 2014, 4:29:27 PM12/30/14
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Here is the third update with a week and a half to go until alpha (I incorrectly said in the last update a couple days ago that we have 3 weeks left!):
Owner: Tim
Now: I've implemented the system check solution I proposed and am waiting for review and/or concerns with this approach.
Last time: On ticket #23891 I proposed the idea of moving model field deprecation warnings to the system check framework. I am waiting for feedback on this approach before investing further.
Owner: Tim
Now: I took a closer look at this and don't think we need to do this deprecation at all as it doesn't seem to offer any benefits. See the ticket for details.
Last time: I think the performance concerns are no longer a blocker to resolving this ticket (see the mailing list thread for details). I did research on the remaining work needed and left a comment on the ticket. I will work on the implementation next week if no one else picks it up.
Owner: Claude/Markus
Now: I committed the test that Markus wrote and Claude incorporated a fix from Markus so the branch appears about ready for merge. Markus will give it another review.
Last time: Patch seems to need improvement so it doesn't cause a regression with swappable models.
Now: Resolved by Ramio
Last time: no update

Tim Graham

Jan 3, 2015, 11:09:04 AM1/3/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Here is the fourth update with a week to go until alpha. At this time, I am thinking we'll have the feature freeze on Monday, January 12 as planned, but perhaps issue the actual alpha release a couple days later just to give some time for some extra polish in case any large patches are committed next weekend.
#23891 - Revise deprecation / removal timeline for IPAddressField (resolved)
Owner: Tim
Now: I committed a patch for the second ticket and will polish the patch for the first issue.
Last time: I've implemented the system check solution I proposed and am waiting for review and/or concerns with this approach.

After completing the issue above, I'll prioritize any issues here:
https://code.djangoproject.com/query?status=assigned&status=new&keywords=~1.8-alpha

Resolved since last time:
Owner: Tim
Now: Resolved this by removing the deprecation as discussed in the ticket.
Last time: I took a closer look at this and don't think we need to do this deprecation at all as it doesn't seem to offer any benefits. See the ticket for details.
Owner: Claude/Markus
Now: Patch committed; thanks to Markus and Claude.
Last time: I committed the test that Markus wrote and Claude incorporated a fix from Markus so the branch appears about ready for merge. Markus will give it another review.

Jeremy Dunck

Jan 3, 2015, 1:19:25 PM1/3/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com

Thank you, Tim, for shepherding this.

Tim Graham

Jan 9, 2015, 1:14:02 PM1/9/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Here is the fifth update with several days to go until alpha. I believe we are on track for a feature freeze at the end of day on Monday. Let's see how things go, but I'd like to cut the stable/1.8.x branch and issue the alpha release by the following Friday (a week from today).

New blockers:

#24075 - Can't migrate contenttypes and auth to zero
Owner: Simon

Resolved since last time:
Owner: Tim
Now: I polished and committed the patch for this.
Last time: I committed a patch for the second ticket and will polish the patch for the first issue.

Most of the issues tagged "1.8-alpha" have been completed or deferred. The two main ones that remain are "Case/When expressions" and "Allowing expressions to be used in order_by queryset method." Depending on what progress is made over the weekend on these issues, they may or may not make it into 1.8.
https://code.djangoproject.com/query?status=assigned&status=new&keywords=~1.8-alpha

Tim Graham

Jan 12, 2015, 9:25:23 PM1/12/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
We did it -- all features are in or out for alpha. Please consider master frozen for new features until we cut the stable/1.8.x branch later this week. Feel free to commit code cleanups and/or bug fixes until then.

Tino de Bruijn

Jan 13, 2015, 1:50:26 AM1/13/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations! Looks like you've steadily moved it through.

Tino

Tim Graham

Jan 15, 2015, 8:30:04 PM1/15/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
I think master is stabilizing and the number of unsolved regressions should be ~0 by tomorrow. I'd like to release the alpha around 2100 UTC tomorrow +/- ~4 hours depending on how things go with the remaining issues. Let me know if there is anything you think needs to be in the alpha that wouldn't meet this deadline.

Tim Graham

Feb 4, 2015, 9:45:33 AM2/4/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Reminder that the 1.8 beta release is scheduled for twelve days from now: Monday, February 16.

Please check this filter for remaining blockers for beta:

https://code.djangoproject.com/query?status=assigned&status=new&version=1.8alpha1&severity=Release+blocker&or&status=assigned&status=new&keywords=~1.8-beta&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=owner&col=type&col=component&col=changetime&desc=1&order=changetime

I'll follow up next week to ensure we have owners for any issues that remain after the weekend.

Tim Graham

Feb 12, 2015, 8:33:38 PM2/12/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Status of release blockers:

#24320 Unable to serialize UUIDField when running dumpdata with JSON format

#24289 Is usage of many_to_one and one_to_many terms confusing for relation flags?

#24225 KeyError when migrating in 1.8a1/master@728b6fd (does not occur in 1.7.3)
#24264 foreign key constraint error migrating integer pk to CharField

#24282 Cannot Modify Foreign Keys Within Data Migrations

Here is the filter for 1.8 release blockers as well as issues tagged 1.8 beta or 1.8 and thus are on my radar to make a decision on in the next couple days:
https://code.djangoproject.com/query?status=assigned&status=new&version=1.8alpha1&severity=Release+blocker&or&keywords=~1.8-beta&status=assigned&status=new&or&keywords=~1.8&status=assigned&status=new&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=owner&col=type&col=component&col=changetime&desc=1&order=changetime

Markus Holtermann

Feb 12, 2015, 8:49:35 PM2/12/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hey Tim,

Thanks for the update. Could you check if #24282 is fixed by my PR as well and assign it to me in case it is. The error message looks familiar to the one I commented on the PR. Thanks.

/Markus

On February 13, 2015 2:33:38 AM GMT+01:00, Tim Graham <timog...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Status of release blockers:
>
>#24320 <https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/24320> Unable to
>serialize
>UUIDField when running dumpdata with JSON format
><https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/24320>
>if no
>one else takes a look first.
>
>#24289 <https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/24289> Is usage of
>many_to_one and one_to_many terms confusing for relation flags?
><https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/24289>
>about
>the direction to take here.
>
>#24225 <https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/24225> KeyError when
>migrating in 1.8a1/master@728b6fd (does not occur in 1.7.3)
><https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/24225>
>#24264 <https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/24264> foreign key
>constraint
>error migrating integer pk to CharField
><https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/24264>
>shape
>and should be ready for commit soon.
>
>#24282 <https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/24282> Cannot Modify
>Foreign
>Keys Within Data Migrations
><https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/24282>
>migrate
>new feature
>is a patch

>in
>squashed
>in
>squashed
>the
>proposed and

>here:

>Creation
>the
>benefits. See

>ready for merge.

>django-d...@googlegroups.com.
>http://groups.google.com/group/django-developers
>>>>>>>>
><https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/b196f095-530c-45ec-9b21-82fcd1c06ed8%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>

>http://groups.google.com/group/django-developers.
>>>>>
>https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/15aaad79-b702-4bb4-a3dd-b341ed140aab%40googlegroups.com
>

><https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/15aaad79-b702-4bb4-a3dd-b341ed140aab%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>

Markus Holtermann

Feb 13, 2015, 1:30:44 PM2/13/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hey folks,

I looked into the issues #24225, #24264 and #24282 and have a working pull request ready for review: https://github.com/django/django/pull/4097

The essential change in the pull request is the way how the set of models that needs to be rerendered is constructed. Instead of naively only resolving one level of relations (Only rerender B and C if C changed: A --> B --> C) the new approach recursively checks for relational fields (forwards and reverse relations (e.g. ForeignKey and ManyToManyRel)) as well as inheritance.

This approach boils down to the following behavior:

If a completely standalone model (no incoming or outgoing relations and no subclasses and only a directed subclass of models.Model) changes, only this model will be rerendered, which is the best case scenario. If every model is somehow related (directly or through other models) to every other model, e.g. through the user model, changing one model from that set will require all models to be rerendered, which is the worst case scenario and results in the similar behavior as 1.7.

To get that pull request into the 1.8 beta I ask everybody to take a look and try it out on their projects. Especially if 1.8 alpha 1 didn't work for you.

Thanks

/Markus

Tim Graham

Feb 16, 2015, 11:12:46 AM2/16/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
There are still quite a few unresolved issues, so the beta release won't happen today. I'll send an update at the end of the day with the status of the remaining issues.

Tim Graham

Feb 16, 2015, 7:05:37 PM2/16/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Here's the status on blockers. Given the work that remains, I don't foresee the beta release happening earlier than Wednesday, but the next update of this thread will be tomorrow.

#24324 Crashes when project path or path to Django install contains a non-ascii character
Owner: Tim

#24351   RunPython/RunSQL operations in contrib migrations and multi-db routers.
Owner: Loic

#24328 The new Options._get_fields() method needs to be cleaned up
Owner: Anssi

#24343 UUID foreign key accessor returns inconsistent type

Owner: Marc/Josh/Shai

#24291 Migrations fail with unused swappable model
Owner: Markus

Markus Holtermann

Feb 17, 2015, 10:06:27 AM2/17/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
So, it turns out that #24291 (Migrations fail with unused swappable model) only occurs when a swapped out model doesn't define an explicit model manager. Since auth.User is the only model that is officially supported for "swappiness" and it defines an explicit UserManager this isn't really a problem in my opinion. Since the whole swappable model API is internal API anyway, I don't want to rule this issue a release blocker. If projects in the wild use the swappable model API they can get around the issue by adding `objects = models.Manager()` to that model.

Tim, Russ, thoughts 'bout that?

/Markus

Tim Graham

Feb 17, 2015, 12:20:22 PM2/17/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
If it's the only release blocker left and the fix is difficult, I think we could issue a beta release without it. I think the worst case is that you'll get some duplicate bug reports from testers.

Marten Kenbeek

Feb 17, 2015, 12:40:40 PM2/17/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
@Tim I believe it's quite easy actually, I've fixed my original patch and it's just waiting to be reviewed. It's available at https://github.com/django/django/pull/4071. However, it's a very rare bug and I only encountered it in the tests when working on another issue, not in any real project. Not really worth delaying the beta I think, I'm getting the feeling you guys are busy enough as it is.

Tim Graham

Feb 17, 2015, 7:38:41 PM2/17/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Today's update:

Rrelease tomorrow seems unlikely -- let's target Friday and if we finish earlier, that's a bonus.

#24307 Oracle Syncdb breaks trying to set NULL to column that already is NULL
Owner: Shai

Tim Graham

Feb 18, 2015, 10:10:20 PM2/18/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
3 issues remain. I haven't confirmed with the owners, but it seems to me there may be a good chance to wrap them up tomorrow.

Loïc Bistuer

Feb 19, 2015, 2:45:07 AM2/19/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
From my point of view #24351 is ready for a final sanity check and merging.

--
Loïc

Tim Graham

Feb 20, 2015, 4:48:01 PM2/20/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
The three issues from last time are resolved, but there is a new issue I've been working on today. I have a tentative fix, but there is a failing test. Assuming nothing else comes up, I might consider releasing the beta tomorrow even if I can't solve that by then as it's not really a new issue, just magnified by the fact that UUIDField is in core and that it's implementation as a primary_key requires default=uuid.uuid4 unlike some existing third-party implementations.

#24377 UUIDField as primary key breaks inline admins

Tim Graham

Feb 21, 2015, 3:53:51 PM2/21/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com

Tim Graham

Feb 23, 2015, 7:29:09 PM2/23/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Previous two issues have been fixed, and now we have two new issues:

#24391 UUIDField with default=uuid4 triggers validation on otherwise empty inline formsets

#24395 Cannot reference FK relation from inline ModelForm.save()

There is a chance to resolve them both tomorrow and then release the beta.

Tim Graham

Feb 24, 2015, 8:08:39 PM2/24/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Zero blockers as of this writing. If we survive the next 12 hours with no new ones, I'll release the beta around then (famous last words).

Raúl Cumplido

Feb 25, 2015, 3:43:15 AM2/25/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com

Tim Graham

Mar 7, 2015, 10:54:30 AM3/7/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
With about 10 days to go until the scheduled date for the release candidate (Monday, March 16), there's just one blocker that Anssi's working on (looks like tests aren't passing yet) [#24171]. About 7 issues have been fixed in 1.8 since the beta release.

Tim Graham

Mar 14, 2015, 4:45:21 PM3/14/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Good news: just one new release blocker this week (#24469) which is awaiting a final review from Aymeric. I'm targeting Wednesday of next week for the release candidate as well as a bug fix release for 1.7 (may be the last one, before 1.7 switches to security updates only).

Tim Graham

Mar 28, 2015, 8:28:45 PM3/28/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
We've fixed four small issues in the 1.8 branch since the release candidate (with no other reported blockers), so I am optimistic we’ll be able to release 1.8 final on Wednesday as scheduled.