Django and CSP strict-dynamic

ran...@gmail.com

May 13, 2017, 10:32:29 AM5/13/17
Hey,

I'd like to discuss how Django might encourage and ease the use of CSP in
the frontend. As Django is used more and more to drive complex web
applications, I think this is of interest. (I tried to keep this short, but
failed...).

# CSP background

CSP (Content Security Policy) is an elaborate mechanism which allows to
attach a policy to a webpage, restricting the things it can do and the
origins it can interact with. It is mainly meant to aid in the prevention
of various code injection attacks. It is usually sent in the
`Content-Security-Policy` header in the response to the HTML request.
Please see here for more details: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/CSP

Currently, in order to have a secure policy you must write big
white-lists, which does not lend itself well to automation by a framework.
For example, here is the policy GitHub sends, which is relatively tame as
far as these go:

    default-src 'none';
    base-uri 'self';
    child-src render.githubusercontent.com;
    connect-src 'self' uploads.github.com status.github.com collector.githubapp.com api.github.com www.google-analytics.com github-cloud.s3.amazonaws.com github-production-repository-file-5c1aeb.s3.amazonaws.com github-production-user-asset-79cafe.s3.amazonaws.com wss://live.github.com;
    font-src assets-cdn.github.com;
    form-action 'self' github.com gist.github.com; frame-ancestors 'none';
    img-src 'self' data: assets-cdn.github.com identicons.github.com collector.githubapp.com github-cloud.s3.amazonaws.com *.githubusercontent.com;
    media-src 'none';
    script-src assets-cdn.github.com;
    style-src 'unsafe-inline' assets-cdn.github.com

The django-csp project (https://github.com/mozilla/django-csp) helps with
generating these in Django. However, maintaining, deploying and monitoring
it is quite a major effort, depending on the complexity of the site.

# The strict-dynamic directive

Because of this, the upcoming version of the CSP standard (Level 3,
https://www.w3.org/TR/CSP/) includes a new `script-src` directive called
`strict-dynamic`. It has its own website:
https://csp.withgoogle.com/docs/index.html

The idea here is that you send a policy like this:

    script-src 'nonce-{random}' 'strict-dynamic';

where `{random}` is some token that is randomly generated in each request,
e.g. `hM6RAC4rgxYFk01gbbfcKw==`. Next, each script included in the page
must be decorated with a `nonce` attribute, using the nonce sent in the
header:

    <script nonce="hM6RAC4rgxYFk01gbbfcKw==" src="/path/to/script.js"></script>

    <script nonce="hM6RAC4rgxYFk01gbbfcKw==">foo()</script>

What the `strict-dynamic` means, is that any script trusted with the nonce
is transitively trusted to load its own scripts dynamically. Thus, most of
the XSS protection remains, however the maintenance burden drops
significantly, and it becomes much more amenable to automation in a
framework.

# Browser support and backward compatibility

`strict-dynamic` is already supported in recent versions of Firefox and
Chrome, and is "under consideration" by Edge:
https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2017/01/10/edge-csp-2/

The CSP Level 3 spec is still a draft, but from what I could gather they
are aiming to finalize it in "Q3 2017":
https://rawgit.com/w3c/webappsec/master/admin/webappsec-charter-2017.html

What about browsers which does not support `strict-dynamic`, but only
support older CSP versions? With the policy I gave above, everything will
be blocked (if nonces are not supported), or transitive scripts will be
blocked (if nonces are supported). To workaround this, `strict-dynamic`
has the behavior of disabling/ignoring other directives if it is
understood. So we can send a policy like this instead:

    script-src 'nonce-{random}' 'unsafe-inline' 'unsafe-eval' 'strict-dynamic' https: http:;

In browsers that support CSP3, it will be interpreted as

    script-src 'nonce-{random}' 'strict-dynamic' 'unsafe-eval'

In browsers that support CSP2:

    script-src 'nonce-{random}' 'unsafe-eval' https: http:;

In browsers that support CSP1:

    script-src 'unsafe-inline' 'unsafe-eval' https: http:;

In all cases it should work out.

Note however, that the following things cannot be used and must be
replaced by modern equivalents:

- `javascript:` URIs.
- Inline event handlers, e.g. `onclick="foo()"`.

For real-world usage, according to
https://security.googleblog.com/2016/09/reshaping-web-defenses-with-strict.html
Google are already using `strict-dynamic` in several of their
applications, e.g. see the header sent by https://photos.google.com/.

# Interaction with existing white-list based policies

White-list based policies generated by e.g. django-csp are still useful,
as they provide a different range of protections.

It is possible to send multiple policies, in which case they are all
enforced. Therefore, `strict-dynamic` can be treated as just an additive
measure.

Since Django does not support sending multiple headers with the same key,
it is possible instead to ', '.join() them, as is standard in HTTP.

# Integration with Django

I wrote a Django app as a POC which adds such a policy automatically. It
is very trivial and consists of:

- A `csp_nonce` template tag, to be used like this:

    <script {% csp_nonce %} src="{% static 'path/to/script.js' %}"></script>

    <script {% csp_nonce %}>foo()</script>

- A middleware which generates a fresh nonce on each request and injects
  the header.

This worked great in my testing with a complex web app, involving multiple
3rd party scripts (e.g. recaptcha, analytics, etc.). (I should note I did
not deploy it, though).

The only problem I encountered was with django-debug-toolbar, which
injects its own javascript, but of course without the nonce. Hence, their
JS is blocked. In this sense, it would be nice if this were integrated in
Django's SecurityMiddleware, so that Django apps can add `{% csp_token %}`
freely. And of course, be more visible to Django developers.

Thanks,
Ran

Adam Johnson

May 15, 2017, 7:30:38 AM5/15/17
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ran

Given that it's still a W3C draft I am not sure it should be added to Django core yet. I don't know of any official policy around what Django implements versus the W3C spec levels though.

However it does seem that without a centralized solution for CSP nonces, they won't be usable with third party apps as you found with django-debug-toolbar.

For web security in Django, I'd like to help get strict-dynamic available in a third party app, django-csp or otherwise. So I'm wondering, is your code public? And do you think it is worth trying to merge into django-csp, or would it be better as a standalone app? (I'm not really familiar with what django-csp does/does not do)

Adam

Adam

Ran Benita

May 16, 2017, 2:40:12 PM5/16/17
Hi Adam, thanks for your comments.

> Given that it's still a W3C draft I am not sure it should be added to Django core yet.

I agree; note however, that nonces are part of CSP Level 2, which is in "W3C Recommendation" status. Since support for nonces is a prerequisite for any of this, I'll refocus on just that part (in a separate message). After it's possible to handle the nonces, supporting strict-dynamic becomes possible. either in Django itself or in a third-party app.

> However it does seem that without a centralized solution for CSP nonces, they won't be usable with third party apps as you found with django-debug-toolbar.

Yes, this is the part where involvement from the framework is strictly required, I think.

> So I'm wondering, is your code public?

Not currently, I will polish it when I have time and publish it. However, as I said, it is very trivial, and doesn't do anything besides what I described in the post.

> And do you think it is worth trying to merge into django-csp, or would it be better as a standalone app?

It can certainly be added to django-csp, for visibility if nothing else, but in my opinion a standalone app would be nicer:

1. Whitelist policies and strict-dynamic are almost orthogonal; they cannot be combined in a single policy, since 'strict-dynamic' causes the whitelist directives in 'script-src' to be ignored. The django-csp configuration DSL is *mostly* useless for strict-dynamic.

2. I imagine a standalone package to have a simple "read short README, annotate <script> tags, enable & forget" workflow; integration in django-csp will drown that out and thus hinder adoption. It is famous that developers avoid policy-based security solutions, they are hard to configure and are disabled at the first sign of breakage.

Ran Benita

May 16, 2017, 3:08:00 PM5/16/17
OK, so to refocus the issue:

Using CSP nonces requires the following: any <script> tag (and optionally <style> tags, as well) must be annotated with a `nonce="NONCE"` attribute, where NONCE is a sever-generated random string, unique per request.

The problem you run into in Django is that you do not control all the places that add <script> and <style> tags, 3rd party apps add those regularly, and it is not reasonable to ask all of them to depend and standardize on some common "csp tokens" package.

The first part I think Django should be involved in in generating the nonce (a simple base64(os.random(16)) and making it available from the request object. Doing this in SecurityMiddleware sounds natural. This way, 3rd-party middleware can construct the CSP header using it, and templates can annotate the tags with it.

The second part is annotating the tag:

One way you might think to solve this is to somehow auto-annotate any <script> and <style> tag. This is not the approach I would take, because:

1. I'm not sure if it's technically possible in Django's template system.
2. Definitely implicit "magic" which is better avoided.
3. Not sure that it's desirable from a security viewpoint; adding csp tokens should maybe be a conscious choice.

I should not though, that this is the approach taken by Google in their template system: https://developers.google.com/closure/templates/docs/security#content_security_policy

The explicit way would be to add a `{% csp_nonce %}` template tag, which expands to `nonce=NONCE` if SecurityMiddleware if a nonce is available (SecurityMiddleware is enabled), and to nothing otherwise. Apps will need to annotate their tags with it, similarly to how `{% csrf_token %}` is used.

Does this sound acceptable? If we can decide on an approach I will be happy to try and implement it. I'm sure projects like django-csp and https://github.com/Bennyoak/django-csp-nonce will be happy to have it as well.

Ran

Adam Johnson

May 22, 2017, 5:29:15 PM5/22/17
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
I agree; note however, that nonces are part of CSP Level 2, which is in "W3C Recommendation" status

Ah, I am not familiar with all these standards, thanks for clarifying.

The first part I think Django should be involved in in generating the nonce (a simple base64(os.random(16)) and making it available from the request object. Doing this in SecurityMiddleware sounds natural.

Makes sense, also the middleware should be the thing adding the header.

The explicit way would be to add a `{% csp_nonce %}` template tag, which expands to `nonce=NONCE` if SecurityMiddleware if a nonce is available (SecurityMiddleware is enabled), and to nothing otherwise. Apps will need to annotate their tags with it, similarly to how `{% csrf_token %}` is used.

Agree with the logic around making it a conscious choice, auto-adding it after the rendering is just leaving the security hole wide open as it's impossible to tell what was part of the template and what is data that potentially injected a <script>.

django-csp-nonce generates two different nonces, one for <script>s and one for <style>s. I can't tell if this is really more secure... 🤔 Thoughts?

Adam