segmentation fault while running test suite and possible bug in documentation.

Vimarsh Chaturvedi

Dec 1, 2016, 4:39:26 AM12/1/16
Hey guys,

My first time posting here.
I downloaded the Django source code and I was going through the instructions given in "Writing your first patch for Django".
I am working with Python 2. So, I installed packages via the py2.txt in the requirements directory.

So, first with the possible bug.
So, the documentation says, after your done with the installation run:

./runtests.py

which gave me the following error:
ImportError: No module named django

The README inside the tests directory says to run:

PYTHONPATH=..:$PYTHONPATH ./runtests.py

This command didn't give any error and the tests started running.
So, Is this a bug in the documentation, or is there something I'm missing?

Moving on to the segmentation.
I run the test suite thrice. The first time it gave a seg fault w/o running any tests the other two times it gave the same error after running about 3k - 4k tests.
The exact error is:

16858 segmentation fault   PYTHONPATH=..:$PYTHONPATH ./runtests.py

Can any one help with this?
Is this because I'm running Python 2.x and not Python 3?

Thanks

Josh Smeaton

Dec 1, 2016, 5:20:51 AM12/1/16
Regarding the segfault it's likely related to this: https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/24080

A bug in sqlite.

Aymeric Augustin

Dec 1, 2016, 5:21:16 AM12/1/16
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hey Vimarsh,

Since Django contains no C code, a segmentation fault usually indicates a bug in Python.

Did you search https://code.djangoproject.com/ for similar issues? This error happened on some versions of a popular OS distribution, although it hasn’t been reported in the last few months.

If you can’t find anything, please report your OS / Python / sqlite versions.

Aymeric.

Vimarsh Chaturvedi

Dec 1, 2016, 5:40:00 AM12/1/16
Hey Josh,

Thanks for the response.

Hey Aymeric,
Apologies. Won't happen again. Didn't realise what I was typing. Where I'm from "guys" just refers to everyone.
Regardless. Apologies.

Thanks
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to django-developers+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Zach

May 19, 2017, 5:19:35 PM5/19/17
Vimarsh, you correctly used the word. "Guys" may be used to refer to members of a group regardless of sex.