How to deal with potential Django bugs you come accross

Erik Stein

May 13, 2019, 7:34:30 AM5/13/19
to django-d...@googlegroups.com

Hello everyone --

From time to time I come accross a potential bug in Django core, but
because of a tight schedule don't have the time to dive into it and
write a proper ticket. How would you suggest to deal with it?

Today e.g.

– Using i18n_patterns with prefix_default_language=True,
– trying to get the frontpage URL without a language given in the URL

works in debug mode, but gives an internal server error without any
backtrace in production mode.

This was caused by a buggy 404.html template, but probably buggy 404
templates should give a backtrace, too, and i18n_patterns shouldn't be
concerned by this anyway.

Are those notes something which should get into Trac to be investigated
later?

Thanks for you opinion and guidance,

-- erik

Curtis Maloney

May 13, 2019, 12:19:48 PM5/13/19
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Erik,

On 5/13/19 8:22 PM, Erik Stein wrote:

> Hello everyone --
>
> From time to time I come accross a potential bug in Django core, but
> because of a tight schedule don't have the time to dive into it and
> write a proper ticket. How would you suggest to deal with it?

my personal position would be to open a ticket with what information you
_do_ have, so the discovery is not lost.

The "worst case" is one of the ever efficient Django Fellows comes by,
tests it out, and closes it as "works as expected".

If you _don't_ log the issue, it _will_ be forgotten about, because
we're all human. :)

> Today e.g.
>
> – Using i18n_patterns with prefix_default_language=True,
> – trying to get the frontpage URL without a language given in the URL
>
> works in debug mode, but gives an internal server error without any
> backtrace in production mode.
>
> This was caused by a buggy 404.html template, but probably buggy 404
> templates should give a backtrace, too, and i18n_patterns shouldn't be
> concerned by this anyway.

Certainly a solution worthy of discussion!

> Are those notes something which should get into Trac to be investigated
> later?

Absolutely yes!

--
Curtis

Erik Stein

May 14, 2019, 4:59:58 AM5/14/19
to django-d...@googlegroups.com

Hey Curtis --

thanks for your answer! I'll do this from now on (and of course I'll try
me best to write a complete bug report including a proposed fix if the
time allows).

https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/30475#ticket

Have a nice day

-- erik