Selected projects for Google Summer of Code 2020

Carlton Gibson

May 6, 2020, 2:46:26 AM5/6/20
Hi all.

We had lots of applications for GSoC, and lots of folks to act as mentors, so I want to
thank everyone there.

Django was accepted into GSoC. We were granted two slots. Thus for 2020,
two student proposals were selected:

* Kacper Szmigiel, an undergraduate student at Technical University of Lodz in Poland, will work on a refactor of the mypy plugin plugin that is part of [django-stubs][0]. His primary mentors are Nikita Sobolev, and Artem Malyshev, maintainers of django-stubs.

    [0]: https://github.com/typeddjango/django-stubs

* Ahmad A. Hussein, an undergraduate student German University in Cairo, will work to extend the parallel test runner to Windows, macOS, and add Oracle support. His primary mentors are Tom Forbes and Adam Johnson.

Additional mentors are Shai Berger, Simon Charette, Sage Abdullah, David Smith, Mariusz Felisiak, and Carlton Gibson.
(I allocated us to the projects for the application phase but we can adjust.)

My plan/hope/thought is to use the Forum[1] as the primary communication channel. It works well for discussions.
If anyone else would like to follow-along, then that's the place.

[1]: https://forum.djangoproject.com

We can post more occasional updates to the list here.

I'd like to welcome Ahmad and Kacper — we're looking forward to working with you!

Kind Regards,

Carlton

Sage M. Abdullah

May 6, 2020, 5:45:02 AM5/6/20
Thanks, Carlton, for the briefing!

I agree it's a good idea to utilize the forum for discussions. Aside from the forum and GitHub, I'd suggest Ahmad and Kacper start a blog if you haven't already, and write about your GSoC Journey there. I'm sure folks would enjoy reading how you learn and implement stuff along the way. You can also use it as a portfolio in the future. As Carlton said, we had a lot of applications, so I think getting selected is quite an achievement. Make the most of it for your future endeavors.

You can use a static site generator like Jekyll or Hugo and use GitHub pages to get it up and running quickly. Starting a blog is just a suggestion, it's okay if you don't feel like it :)

I was also a GSoC student with Django just last year so I'm still quite new to a lot of things as well, but I'll try to help the best I can.

So, congrats Ahmad and Kacper, looking forward to working with you!

Regards,
Sage

Kacper Szmigiel

May 6, 2020, 7:27:40 AM5/6/20
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hello all!

TBH I'm still shocked that I got accepted!  I don't even know how to express my satisfaction. I would like to thank you for your trust, and promise to do my best.

About the communication channels - I will adapt to whatever suits you best. I got used to writing emails, but I can switch to forum, no problem.

I'm also about to start vlogging about GSoC in the near future. I was planning to start doing so since a while, and this seems to be a good opportunity :D At this point I'm collecting equipment and discussing the details with my friend who is a video editor.

I've already contacted Nikita Sobolev and started going through Mypy documentation. I think we'll establish a plan and timeline of my work next week.

I also have to ask you to keep in mind that I will be taking my exam session at Uni in June, so I will probably do most of the work in July and September. I informed my lecturers and University authorities about getting accepted into GSoC, so maybe they'll make it easier for me to pass this semester, I hope to know the answer in a few days.

Kind regards,
Kacper Szmigiel

Adam Johnson

May 6, 2020, 11:52:49 AM5/6/20
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations Kacper and Ahmad!

Thanks to my fellow mentors for their work so far helping filtering the applications. And especially Carlton for keeping us organized.

Yes the forum is a great place to keep the conversation.

Looking forward to mentoring Ahmad,

Adam

--
Adam

Ahmad A. Hussein

May 6, 2020, 4:51:55 PM5/6/20
I'm honestly ecstatic to have been accepted! It's something that I wanted to do since last year when I read about Sage's project after I started using Django.

I'll definitely start a blog to document the entire journey and I think it'll help with keeping track of my own progress. Thanks for the suggestion Sage.

I'll make a thread on the forums to discuss my current plans/preparations or any issue, and I'll be sure to link to the PR as relevant and discuss specific details there.

Looking forward to working with Tom and Adam!

Regards,
Ahmad
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to django-d...@googlegroups.com.

Adam