Creating a new "Triage & Review Team"

Carlton Gibson

Aug 12, 2019, 3:05:45 PM8/12/19
Hi.

Part of the discussion on the "Dissolving Core" DEP was about have a some kind of status, and permissions that go with it, for the group of contributors who are actively involved in Triaging tickets and Reviewing PRs on GitHub.

Ideally we wanted to separate this from "having the commit-bit", so not equivalent to "Write" permissions on GitHub, which were to be reduced from the whole of "Django Core" as was (as currently is) to the "Mergers" who would be the Fellows plus small number of others.

There was some suggestion of granting Write access but then using "Protected Branches" + "Code Ownership" features of GitHub to make this work.
That's a bit too complex for my taste, and the UI on it isn't great, having tried it.
(You end up with horrible red buttons all over until a code owner approved... Yuck.)

Then GitHub introduced[1] a Triage permission between the existing Read and Write permissions.

This looked great but — for me — was lacking a key feature of being able to "Request a Review",
a handy button on the top-right of PRs, which if you have Write permissions you can put a user name
in to say, "hey, can you please look at this".

I've been making comments left, right and centre about this lack, and it seems that GitHub will be adjusting
the Triage role to add the "Request a Review" permission.

At which point I think it serves our needs quite well™.
(Even without that change it's probably what we need to use but with it being added, all the better...)

As such I'd like to create a "Triage & Review Team", give it the Triage permission, and begin inviting people.

* I'd like to invite small numbers to begin. Just to check it does serve.
* I think the idea was to be more liberal than Django Core, so invite more as we spin up.
* And membership was meant to be dependent on activity, so we could ask folks to say if they were going to continue or step down, say each major release cycle.

I realised the other day that Nick Pope wasn't a member of the Django Org, because he's not part of "Django Core"—when I suggested he use
the "Request a Review" button and found he couldn't. This struck me as a little absurd: if we weren't going to dissolve it, Nick should definitely
be part of the old "Django Core". As such, I suggest create the team, and inviting Nick as the first member just to see how it goes.

Can I ask if that seems sensible to all/some?

Thanks.

Kind Regards,

Carlton

Carlton Gibson

Aug 12, 2019, 3:12:51 PM8/12/19
Oh, one more thing. I'd like to make this a "Public" team. I think there should be some visibility and recognition for the folks who work so hard on keeping Django strong.

As part of that I'd add it to the Teams list on djangoproject.com, and maintain a list of previous members, for those who had stepped down.

C.

Josh Smeaton

Aug 14, 2019, 9:06:25 AM8/14/19
I think that's sensible, including making the team public.

> This struck me as a little absurd: if we weren't going to dissolve it, Nick should definitely be part of the old "Django Core".

It's not done yet, and while we're in this limbo stage, we're potentially missing out on some good maintainers before a decision has even been made. You can still put forward names for the core team if you think they'd make good members,  though I'd understand your hesitation.

Aymeric Augustin

Aug 19, 2019, 11:10:52 AM8/19/19
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I'm in favor of trying this.

--
Aymeric.

Aymeric.

Carlton Gibson

Aug 19, 2019, 11:31:11 AM8/19/19
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
OK, thanks Josh, Aymeric. I shall roll it out (slowly as ever 🙂)

Adam Johnson

Aug 19, 2019, 6:40:05 PM8/19/19
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good to me too, looking forward to it!

--
Adam

Carlton Gibson

Sep 1, 2019, 3:46:22 AM9/1/19
Last update here:

GitHub updated the Triage roll with the desired permissions, so (I think) it's now exactly
what we need/were looking for.

I'm off next week, so I'll set up the Team and invite folks when I get back.

I'll draft some thoughts on _governance_ for it over September. Current thoughts, inspired by the
discussion on the DEP are roughly:

* Team will be self managing.
* All the usual CoC thoughts apply.
* X _meaningful_ triage or reviews over a release cycle and you're invited.
    * Need to look at X, but thinking one a week or one a fortnight...? (But will try to look at actual numbers.)
    * _meaningful_ just means "a bit more that Just Clicked the GH Accept button"
* Opportunity to re-commit or step down per release cycle.
* Past members always welcome back.
* We'll keep a public record of current and past members.
   * ... to also include a list of Former members of Django Core.

That's just a preliminary outline.

Have a good week all.

Kind Regards,

Carlton