Feature request: AbstractPermission and AbstractGroup models

LBris

Jan 23, 2020, 7:25:43 AM1/23/20
Hi everyone.

As it is possible to customize the User model using AbstractUser or AbstractBaseUser, it would be great to be able to do the same with groups and permissions.

The goal is to provide 2 new abstract models "AbstractGroup" and "AbstractPermission", in order to benefit from all the already-developed stuff around these models.

In addition to these 2 new models, 2 new settings would come with :
AUTH_GROUP_MODEL
AUTH_PERMISSION_MODEL

to achieve the customization as it is possible to do with the User.

All of this would be great in order to enable developers to customize their models by adding new fields to them for instance.

I hope you will get the interest of it.

I'm open to discussions about that.

Mariusz Felisiak

Jan 23, 2020, 8:41:58 AM1/23/20

LBris

Jan 23, 2020, 10:31:29 AM1/23/20

Yes I saw this ticket before requesting the feature but I don't know at which state this ticket is (is it in progress ? do they need help ? Will it be even possible ? Will it be done and integrated to Django ?)
I'm aware with other  solutions such as doing a OneToOne relation but in my opinion it is not clean. It would be like Group having a relation to a GroupMeta model :-/. That means each time I need data from the GroupMeta, I have to go through the relation to be able to retrieve the data I need.

This is maybe maniac from me but well, I like clean things. (Even though from your point of view, implementing this in Django is not clean a tall).

What are your suggestion(s) ?

Mariusz Felisiak

Jan 23, 2020, 12:09:36 PM1/23/20
You can leave your comments on the discussion that is attached to the ticket, there is no need to start a new one.