Should tutorial start with minimal Django?

Bobby Mozumder

Mar 1, 2016, 8:03:38 PM3/1/16
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Here’s an example of minimal Django, where one can output run an full site from a single file:
https://github.com/rnevius/minimal-django

The author made the comparison to Flask.

I believe the tutorial should start out with this, as the initial Part 0, to introduce the audience to the framework, before introducing apps/models/subdirectories/etc. I think a lot of people are turned off by the heavy-handed immediate introduction of many files and directories of a Django setup - I know I was when I first started with Django.

Anyways just putting this out there.

-bobby

Curtis Maloney

Mar 1, 2016, 8:07:38 PM3/1/16
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
When we were teaching MelbDjango, I did start by writing views in the
root urls.py .... this avoided students having to create a bunch of
files and apps and references and imports and...

For some of the students transitioning from PHP, it was much easier to
deal with only learning one thing at a time...

However, we didn't go quite so far as that example... still using
"startproject" etc.

--
Curtis

Tim Graham

Mar 7, 2016, 9:44:01 AM3/7/16
I think it could be useful to document that you can use Django with such a minimal setup. My preference wouldn't be to put it in the tutorial but maybe it has a place in docs/topics/overview.txt or similar.