RSS access to Google groups?

Claude Paroz

Jul 27, 2021, 11:38:47 AM7/27/21

It looks like from several days now, access to Google groups by RSS feeds is producing an error.

Does anyone know if this means that Google stopped supporting reading groups by RSS?

Claude

Jason Johns

Jul 28, 2021, 2:03:12 PM7/28/21
https://support.google.com/groups/thread/118690869/when-will-googlegroups-rss-feed-be-back-online?hl=en

Apparently you're not the only one having this error, and seems the solution only applies to public groups.

Claude Paroz

Jul 29, 2021, 9:33:00 AM7/29/21
Thanks a lot Jason for the link to the support thread. Let those who rely on the RSS group feed go and upvote the thread!

Carlton Gibson

Jul 30, 2021, 4:14:51 AM7/30/21
Upvoted, but I'm not holding out hope. 🤨

There was discussion a while back about moving the discussion here to the Forum.
Perhaps it's time to think again about doing that?
(Andrew and Tom were discussing migrating the history. I don't think we should block on that.)

C.

Claude Paroz

Aug 3, 2021, 1:43:12 PM8/3/21
Le vendredi 30 juillet 2021 à 10:14:51 UTC+2, carlton...@gmail.com a écrit :
Upvoted, but I'm not holding out hope. 🤨

There was discussion a while back about moving the discussion here to the Forum.
Perhaps it's time to think again about doing that?
(Andrew and Tom were discussing migrating the history. I don't think we should block on that.)

+1 for doing that. Maybe we could start by moving django-i18n and geodjango lists?

Claude

Carlton Gibson

Aug 4, 2021, 8:24:14 AM8/4/21
Hey Claude.

> Maybe we could start by moving django-i18n and geodjango lists?

So, rough steps:

0: Update docs to point to Forum rather than Google Groups.
1. Post on django-i18n and geodjango lists that the action is now on the Forum. https://forum.djangoproject.com
2. We can create new sub-categories (say) under "Django Internals" if you think?

Presumably the Google Group is OK as an archive for now but...

3. Work out how to export an archive.
4. Make that available somehow...
5. ... maybe ideally on the Forum itself.

Tom and Andrew started on this path, so I can ask how far they got.

Claude Paroz

Aug 5, 2021, 4:22:06 AM8/5/21
> Maybe we could start by moving django-i18n and geodjango lists?

So, rough steps:

0: Update docs to point to Forum rather than Google Groups.
1. Post on django-i18n and geodjango lists that the action is now on the Forum. https://forum.djangoproject.com
2. We can create new sub-categories (say) under "Django Internals" if you think?

Nice. I would start with step 2 so we can directly point to sub-categories in docs.

Claude

Carlton Gibson

Aug 5, 2021, 4:32:30 AM8/5/21
OK, I don't think I have the powers to set that up, so I've asked Andrew, and that you get added to the "staff" there so you can moderate etc.

Claude Paroz

Aug 13, 2021, 12:24:34 PM8/13/21
A question received privately: imagine someone wants to follow the Internationalization topic by email, is it possible and how? There is a Mailing list mode in the forum prefs, but then I guess that this will send messages from all forum topics.

Carlton Gibson

Aug 13, 2021, 12:57:16 PM8/13/21
Hey Claude.

Here:

https://forum.djangoproject.com/my/preferences/categories

You can set to watch particular categories (or just first posts in a thread or … )

C.

On 13 Aug 2021, at 18:24, Claude Paroz <cla...@2xlibre.net> wrote:

A question received privately: imagine someone wants to follow the Internationalization topic by email, is it possible and how? There is a Mailing list mode in the forum prefs, but then I guess that this will send messages from all forum topics.

Claude Paroz

Aug 13, 2021, 4:53:20 PM8/13/21
So I activated mailing list mode, and chose i18n/geodjango in the watch list. I'm still receiving all forum messages by email, which is evidently not an option. If I have to manually mute/exclude all other categories, it will not be very practical either, as I would have to do it again each time new topics appear. Any other "magical" solution ?

Claude Paroz

Aug 13, 2021, 5:10:28 PM8/13/21
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
So according to my experience and confirmed by
https://discourse.mozilla.org/t/how-do-i-use-discourse-via-email/15279,
mailing list mode is not really an option, unless you want to triage
interesting email by mail client filters.

I'm trying now different combinations of preferences, but if anyone has
something to share about those settings, it would be welcome.

Claude

Carlton Gibson

Aug 14, 2021, 2:20:58 AM8/14/21
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hey Claude. Not sure. (I’m learning it as much as you are.) I’ve asked on the Discourse meta forum.

Markus Holtermann

Aug 14, 2021, 6:16:56 AM8/14/21
to Django developers
Hi Claude,

I think you're receiving everything because you're a moderator everywhere and they get everything they're moderating by default. I'd need to look into this a bit more. But I think there's a way to disable excess notifications.

Cheers,

Markus