status of 2.0 release blockers

Tim Graham

Sep 16, 2017, 7:30:01 PM9/16/17
Time to kickoff the progress tracker for the next major release!

The 2.0 alpha is scheduled (according to https://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/Version2.0Roadmap) for Monday, September 18. Typically we've release the alpha a few days later to finish up a few last minutes things. Here are the PRs on my list to polish off before the alpha release. I'll send another update on Monday.

https://github.com/django/django/pull/6385 - Fixed #14370 -- Added select2 widget for related object fields in admin.
https://github.com/django/django/pull/7611 - Fixed #26608 -- Add support for OVER-clause (window expressions).
https://github.com/django/django/pull/7482 - Simplified URL routing syntax. (code)
https://github.com/django/django/pull/9072 - Simplified URL routing syntax. (docs)
https://github.com/django/django/pull/9086 - Refs #28595 -- Added execute wrappers for database queries.
https://github.com/django/django/pull/9081 - Fixed #27332 -- Added support for conditional joins in the ORM.

Florian Apolloner

Sep 17, 2017, 5:11:43 PM9/17/17
Looks good to me. https://github.com/django/django/commit/01c6a3e227b645e8dea97e9befecd23d1d3b8581 resulted in test failures, we might have to revert that.

I do have to add https://github.com/django/django/pull/9100 to the mix, but since it is a bugfix we can easily do this after the alpha.

cheers,
Florian

Tim Graham

Sep 18, 2017, 9:44:05 PM9/18/17
completed today:
https://github.com/django/django/pull/6385 - Fixed #14370 -- Added select2 widget for related object fields in admin.
https://github.com/django/django/pull/7611 - Fixed #26608 -- Add support for OVER-clause (window expressions).

todo:
https://github.com/django/django/pull/7482 - Simplified URL routing syntax. (code)
https://github.com/django/django/pull/9072 - Simplified URL routing syntax. (docs)
https://github.com/django/django/pull/9086 - Refs #28595 -- Added execute wrappers for database queries.
https://github.com/django/django/pull/9081 - Fixed #27332 -- Added support for conditional joins in the ORM.

Tim Graham

Sep 19, 2017, 10:21:19 PM9/19/17
I spent today finishing up writing and then reviewing the documentation for URL routing. I'll give that and the code one more look tomorrow before merging. In the meantime, other reviews (especially from anyone less familiar with the feature) are certainly welcome.
https://github.com/django/django/pull/7482 - Simplified URL routing syntax. (code)
https://github.com/django/django/pull/9072 - Simplified URL routing syntax. (docs)

other todos for the alpha:
https://github.com/django/django/pull/9086 - Refs #28595 -- Added execute wrappers for database queries.
https://github.com/django/django/pull/9081 - Fixed #27332 -- Added support for conditional joins in the ORM.

Brice Parent

Sep 20, 2017, 5:15:03 AM9/20/17
to django-d...@googlegroups.com

Hi Tim,

I've taken a look at this one:

https://github.com/django/django/pull/9072 - Simplified URL routing syntax. (docs)

Seems good to me (there are some indentation changes, like in docs/ref/contrib/sitemaps.txt that are not systematic in the urlpatterns, but I don't know if it's important).

I would just have added something in docs/releases/2.0.txt to tell that previous behaviour (with url()) has been moved to django.urls.re_path(). If I understood it well at least... There might be cases where the new syntax won't be sufficient (or at least I believe so, like in urls like /ab/cd/abcdefghi for example), and pushing upgraders to start using re_match directly instead of url() might be a good idea, IMHO. Does it make sense or did I miss something?

- Brice

Tim Graham

Sep 20, 2017, 12:16:18 PM9/20/17
Thanks for the feedback. I think the indentation changes are correct, but please leave a comment on the PR so I can be sure which lines you're referring to. I added this text to the release notes per your suggestion:

The ``django.conf.urls.url()`` function from previous versions is now available
as :func:`django.urls.re_path`, however, the old location remains for backwards
compatibility, without an imminent deprecation. The old
``django.conf.urls.include()`` function is now importable from ``django.urls``
so you can use ``from django.urls import include, path, re_path`` in your
URLconfs.

Tim Graham

Sep 20, 2017, 9:18:17 PM9/20/17
completed today:
https://github.com/django/django/pull/7482 - Simplified URL routing syntax. (code)
https://github.com/django/django/pull/9072 - Simplified URL routing syntax. (docs)
https://github.com/django/django/pull/9100 - Fixed #28488 -- Reallowed error handlers to access CSRF tokens.

todo:

https://github.com/django/django/pull/9086 - Refs #28595 -- Added execute wrappers for database queries.
https://github.com/django/django/pull/9081 - Fixed #27332 -- Added support for conditional joins in the ORM.

I hope to finish those two issues tomorrow and release the alpha on Friday or Saturday. Thanks to everyone who's been helping to work on and review the remaining PRs. :-)

Tim Graham

Sep 21, 2017, 10:06:11 PM9/21/17
completed today:

https://github.com/django/django/pull/9086 - Refs #28595 -- Added execute wrappers for database queries.

I plan to merge this last one early tomorrow, then release the alpha later in the day.

https://github.com/django/django/pull/9081 - Fixed #27332 -- Added support for conditional joins in the ORM.

Tim Graham

Dec 1, 2017, 9:41:41 PM12/1/17
A few blockers were reported in the past couple days. Patches are completed and being merged shortly. I plan to release Django 2.0 and 1.11.8 tomorrow morning (~12 hours from now).